Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for a good alto sax for not much money. I see a Symphoney Professional Model Alto on eBay for only $100.00. It looks real good but I haven't been able to find anything on this maker. Can someone tell me if it is as good as it looks?

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
deed2591a said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a good alto sax for not much money. I see a Symphoney Professional Model Alto on eBay for only $100.00. It looks real good but I haven't been able to find anything on this maker. Can someone tell me if it is as good as it looks?

Thanks
I think the name says it all ... Sym"phoney". A good alto sax for not that much money is something that's hard to find. Search for a used YAS-23 by Yamaha. Probably the best beginner horn out there in terms of durability, consistency, and intonation.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
This guy's claiming its a Martin. I'm no good with Martin's, and I'm not sure if the "Symphony" is a type of sax they make. You can't really tell with the pictures. But if it's a Martin, 100 dollars is a steal. But then again, it is sold AS IS, so then it could have a lot repair work needed. I agree with TJOS, A yamaha 23 is your best beginner sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
These are stencils that were made by Martin or the Indiana Band Inst. Co. and have the beveled, soldered tone holes. Pretty much like a Martin Handcraft series II. They should have opposing bell keys (one on each side) and are usually silver plated or gold lacquered (not factory). Buyer beware however as even though they are nice playing horns, they rarely are worth more than $400 in perfect condition so if the pads are bad, remember that it costs the same to repad a higher value sax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts