Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious what mouthpiece players of SX90 use, I personally use a link super tone master 5*.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Retro Revival Florida 8 or Rafael Navarro Bahia.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
Highly modified Sugal KW II .110"

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a a SX90R and I love it. I play a Robusto metal 7*, it´s been a perfect fit for some time now. Further tried Link Early Babitt metal 7* - a bit softer than the Robusto; a Drake Christlieb 110 - very bright and a bit hard to tame, but super powerful; and a Barone metal SNY - probably I haven´t got it right since now, but it feels too mellow and tame. The Robusto so far is most flexible and can get me everyhere I want. I spent some time on reeds. I currently use Rigotti Gold 3 soft and trim them down with a reedgeek if necessary.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,480 Posts
My Big Band tenor buddy has a SX90(r?) and I think he plays a Lebayle metal LR 8. Gives him a strong and darker sound (with Legere 2 reeds). He also bought a metal 10mfan Robusto 9* after having tried my HR Robusto 11*, but the 9* tip is a bit too big for him and the sound isn't really happening (probably due to the tip size and the way it's build, the metal ones sound duller than the HR Robusto's).

I let him recently try one of my old Links (a 40's Tone Master refaced to an 8) and that one brought much more life and colours into his sound. He was interested in buying it, but I will never let that piece go (it's a piece I will probably start playing when my 10* Florida becomes too hard too play for me).

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,748 Posts
I use two different setups:

Theo Wanne Gaia (metal) 7* w/ green box Java 3, and

STM NY 7* (Brian Powell reface) w/ red box Java 2.5

I tend to go back and forth regarding which is my primary piece but the Gaia, which has a slightly larger chamber and a slightly higher baffle, tends to require less adjustment to maintain intonation across the range of the horn.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Theo Wanne Durga 2 #8 and Durga 3 #8 with Legere Classic and Signature medium soft to medium. Great for rock and soul.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Ponzol M1 brass mouthpiece, refaced by Ed Zentera; killer piece. I used it in Germany for a long time in Big Bands and Cover Bands (pop/soul/disco/funk). Beautiful darkish sound.

I'm like some others with this sax. I did the safari thing, playing a 60s Conn 10M, then an older, classic 10M, Yamaha Zs and the Keilwerths. I actually switched to other horns from JKs three times but just kept coming back to them.

And speaking of ergos, (I heard someone say), I always felt like I was going "home" after switching and going back to them. I had no problems, personally, and I have medium to small hands. This does not mean that other saxes have worse, just different, ergos and I personally found them very comfortable.

http://www.peterponzol.com/mouthpiece_info/Pictures_of_mouthpieces/m1_mouthpieces.htm

BTW, I am about to put this mouthpiece (.105) up for sale. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Rubber Vandoren V16, T8. Vandoren Java red 2.5 or v16 2.5 reeds.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,748 Posts
I use this one, it's a match made in heaven! http://www.marantzcustommouthpieces.com/product-page/slant-legacy-hr-tenor-sax-jet-black

Not saying that just cause I make them! I literally can't play anything else after I found this blank to make this piece with.

Here's a sound example: https://soundcloud.com/marantz-mouthpiece-work/marantz-slant-legacy-hr-tenor-sax-official-soundclip
Very nice!

Is your Soundcloud clip of the Florida Legacy also played on an SX90R?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I currently play a Daddario Select Jazz tenor piece or a Drake Studio on my SX90R tenor. The Studio has more volume, the Daddario is a little rounder and warmer.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Very nice!

Is your Soundcloud clip of the Florida Legacy also played on an SX90R?
Thanks! Yes, all of my soundclips are played on the SX90R black nickel gold model. It's the only tenor sax I've ever owned actually. Mine is from 2002 but I play tested the newest ones off the shelf and they played exactly the same or better, for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts