Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G# on Keilwerth tenor has an extra lever across hole.Underside of lever has a flat spring flopping around. What does it attach to? I tried putting a photo but I cannot figure that out either.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,048 Posts
G# on Keilwerth tenor has an extra lever across hole.Underside of lever has a flat spring flopping around. What does it attach to? I tried putting a photo but I cannot figure that out either.
That is the spring that J-K adds to the mechanism to provide lift to overcome the sticky G# key.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see that it has any spring lift....as I manually move keys it doesnt seem to "spring" anything....know what I mean?

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the pic that EgilF. posted, that spring is rotated in line with the key. You may need to remove the key to tighten the retaining screw to keep it from flopping about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,257 Posts
1) Push down the #G-key and finger a F: without the spring the arm is loose.
2) If you play a f the spring makes the #g-lifting arm stay up, without the spring the arm is loose and falls down/up when you are tilting the horn.

My alto has the same:

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
B&S do this same thing but with a different spring type. It wont appear to do anything until the G# sticks when you are trying to raise it, at which point it will contact at point "B" and apply pressure to lift the G# cup. The spring is there to keep it tilted the correct way (towards "A") rather than flopping about I think.

From Steve Howards review...

"In normal use, and with a working G#, the arm does nothing at all - but should the G# stick, the lever pivots on the stuck G# key cup and makes contact with the Aux.F key cup. Once it does this it tries to force the Aux.F key down - in effect using the spring of that key to boost that on the G# key cup and supplying the upward force at the pivot of the lever."

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Keilwerth_sx90r_tenor.htm

More info for the curious...
http://bassic-sax.info/blog/2016/ever-heard-of-a-strathmann-non-stick-g-key/

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very interesting. My Keilwerth has the bar, but no spring. I was just looking at it today and thinking how worthless it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts