Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the soprano of my dreams! It has a detachable straight neck, which makes me wonder: was there ever a curved neck offered fpr this?

I know I could play around with other neck sources, but I also know that neck swaps can be tricky - so were there ever real KW curved necks?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, my SX 90 II came with both necks. Curved and straight.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
If you received only one neck with your SX90II, you were ripped off. The curved neck wasn't an optional item -- it was a standard part of the instrument. I hope the seller was simply ignorant of that fact, and did not deliberately sell you a horn with a missing piece without disclosing the problem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
If you received only one neck with your SX90II, you were ripped off. The curved neck wasn't an optional item -- it was a standard part of the instrument. I hope the seller was simply ignorant of that fact, and did not deliberately sell you a horn with a missing piece without disclosing the problem.
No one was “ripped off” unless the horn was advertised as having two necks. Who is to know when, in the history of the horn, the other neck left the scene?

Not a “problem”.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
No one was “ripped off” unless the horn was advertised as having two necks.
I strongly disagree. As noted, the set of two necks was standard equipment on every SX90II soprano. That's what the "II" in the model name means. JK also sold a fixed-neck SX90 sop during the same period of time. It's not necessary to "advertise" that a two-neck horn comes with all its parts, any more than it's necessary to advertise that an alto or tenor comes with its original neck. In either case, the buyer is justified in assuming that the saxophone comes with all its original parts, unless notified to the contrary by the seller.

Who is to know when, in the history of the horn, the other neck left the scene?
The "when" is not relevant to the buyer's position. Clearly, in this case the buyer had no idea that the sax was missing one of its original necks. I reject the application of caveat emptor in this instance. The burden of disclosure lay on the seller unless he was also genuinely unaware that a neck was missing.

I used to own an SX90II, which I bought used, and later sold. You can bet there would have been a big "problem" in either transaction if one of the necks had not been included without the awareness and consent of both parties.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I finally got the soprano of my dreams! It has a detachable straight neck, which makes me wonder: was there ever a curved neck offered fpr this?

I know I could play around with other neck sources, but I also know that neck swaps can be tricky - so were there ever real KW curved necks?
I think you should have been more informed about the soprano of your dreams!
You should have had all the necessary informations and know that it comes with 2 necks

I dont know how much you paid for it, but a missing neck is a minus for sure
From what you say it also seems the seller told you nothing about the missing curved neck...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I strongly disagree. As noted, the set of two necks was standard equipment on every SX90II soprano. That's what the "II" in the model name means. JK also sold a fixed-neck SX90 sop during the same period of time.
Or does “II” mean second generation, or two-piece? Does J-K actually advertise the intent of their naming scheme?

Curious,

George

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As Dr G says:

No one was “ripped off” unless the horn was advertised as having two necks. Who is to know when, in the history of the horn, the other neck left the scene?
I had seven other sopranos when I bought this - three with dual detachable necks - and I know that I prefer the straight neck. I paid $2000 for this horn WITH a good aftermarket case, and I thought and think that's a pretty good deal. It's a great playing horn in great shape, and I love the sound. Calm down, people!

Yes, I'd like to try out the KW curved neck, but that's just curiosity. I accumulate mouthpieces like many of us do, and I even look at other women sometimes, oh the horror!

By contrast: Earlier this year I bought a good detachable-neck Taiwan soprano off eBay, and it arrived with NO neck!! (The seller had claimed it was in good working condition, and tried to escape responsibility.) Ebay forced a partial refund, and I already had another soprano with both necks from the same factory, so I wound up with a good one-neck soprano for $250.

So now I've got my dream soprano, plus six other well-playing sopranos without spare necks (KW New King, Borgani x2, Steph x2, and The Woodwind). It seems to be tough to sell odd sopranos - and yes, if I sell either the neck donor or the neck recipient, I'll have to clearly disclose that it has ONLY ONE NECK! Maybe I'll see if a big-city store wants these on consignment, or I may just keep the Taiwan horns for teaching my kids.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have to agree with DR. G on this one. If you received what was advertised then you weren't "ripped off". Who knows what happened to the curved neck. The seller could have kept it because it fit and played well on another of his horns or whatever. I'm sure if you hunt around you can procure a curved neck for it.

Here's a pre-enjoyed one with both necks. https://www.dawkes.co.uk/keilwerth-sx90ii-soprano-sax-116359-saxophone/20900

1 - 9 of 9 Posts