Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hmm I've never seen one of these before. I'm also interested to hear what it is.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Never heard of the SX either, but in reading what had been written in the description, sounds like the seller did his homework. It definitely does not have rolled tone hole as the SX90 did not as well, but other than that, looks to be like almost the same horn as the SX90. Was interesting to read about the brass used in the earlier Keilwerths. I would definitely say for the amount that is being asked for the horn its a steal. If I had the extra money laying around I'd probably want to scoop it up

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
That is my horn eBay. I've had it since 1990 and it's been my go-to tenor. The SX is not a model you see a lot. For years I've asked all the pro players and collectors and people that know horns, about the SX and I've only had blank stares. Repairmen and players seem to fall in love with it but no one could even verify that it really existed. Then I found a letter that accompanied an SX that someone was selling for Peter Ponzol. According to Peter Ponzol, it was manufactured in a relatively small batch of 9000 horns, from soprano to bass and it was the best Keilwerth model he ever dealt with. I take the ,"best Keilwerth model ever" with a grain of salt since he was trying to sell the horn but I finally had some kind of I.D. on where the SX stood in the Keilwerth line.

No rolled tone-holes. No adjustable palm keys. Same big bell and sound. It is a heavy tenor. According to Peter, the metal was different (he never said what the difference was) than what was used for the SX90 and as far as playing comparison, he said "you might as well call the SX, the SX80." For me, this horn has played incredibly well and if it sells, I will miss it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It looks a bit like a Keilwerth branded Couf Superba I. Just about like the Superba II but lacking the rolled tone holes. I currently have an EX 90 Series II that is similar but about about 10 years newer. The EX series also had a few cost saving features that distinguish it from the horn being sold here. I do think that the non-rolled tone hole Keilwerths are great bargins and fantastic instruments in their own right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The photos of the SX looks exactly like my Toneking Exclusive with the serial number 89225 from 1985.
The Toneking Exclusive was the successor of the Toneking Special and was then replaced by the SX90 (SX90R).

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you're not looking at the details and the only significant thing I see that carried over from the Superba I, etc. is that there is still no detachable bow ring even though everything else has been Selmerized, What a beautiful looking horn!!

It looks a bit like a Keilwerth branded Couf Superba I. Just about like the Superba II but lacking the rolled tone holes. I currently have an EX 90 Series II that is similar but about about 10 years newer. The EX series also had a few cost saving features that distinguish it from the horn being sold here. I do think that the non-rolled tone hole Keilwerths are great bargins and fantastic instruments in their own right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,923 Posts
That is my horn eBay. I've had it since 1990 and it's been my go-to tenor. The SX is not a model you see a lot. For years I've asked all the pro players and collectors and people that know horns, about the SX and I've only had blank stares. Repairmen and players seem to fall in love with it but no one could even verify that it really existed. Then I found a letter that accompanied an SX that someone was selling for Peter Ponzol. According to Peter Ponzol, it was manufactured in a relatively small batch of 9000 horns, from soprano to bass and it was the best Keilwerth model he ever dealt with. I take the ,"best Keilwerth model ever" with a grain of salt since he was trying to sell the horn but I finally had some kind of I.D. on where the SX stood in the Keilwerth line.

No rolled tone-holes. No adjustable palm keys. Same big bell and sound. It is a heavy tenor. According to Peter, the metal was different (he never said what the difference was) than what was used for the SX90 and as far as playing comparison, he said "you might as well call the SX, the SX80." For me, this horn has played incredibly well and if it sells, I will miss it.
Cool horn. Man...you let that go for a good 20% below what you likely could have gotten for it tho....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
It was listed for awhile though. The market sets the price doesn't it ?
True. I needed to move it and the first buyer had crazy expectations from a used horn. I was relieved that it did go to a good home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Glad it turned out well. Again, what a beautiful, and obviously an exceedingly rare horn. Helen definitely has to look into this, for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts