Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have been off the site for years gave up playing for the day gig and all the guys I played with that were partners in music crime to say have passed. So Ive been getting the horns out and putting in some time getting back to it and my sound concept has changed. I remember when I was playing on my sx90r only most all the time tenor that is and like most of us went through the gambit of mouthpeices spending maybe as much on them as I spent on the horn when it was new. What I started to figure out was the keilwerth was to bright up top for my sound concept and was allways trying to find the magic MP that changed that. Well at one point I installed beasonaters brass resos in it and maybe that made things worse for me. Now I also had a The martin tenor that was a rmc late model had some filled tone holes and didnt play in tune well but got a 47 that was banged up from someone used the main tube off the 47 with the undamaged 60s bell and bow and put it together with some cheap pastic reso pads and the thing was killin it played in tune couldnt beleive the sound I was getting out of it selmerish little more spread but the power the thing has is crazy. This with a old tweaked early babbit 8* link. Sorry for the rant but what Im getting at is a few years ago I thought about selling the sx90 and was also thinking what it would sound like with plasctic resos I know most of yall will flame me for even thinking of that darkside but me and the horn have a bunch of history and its in need of a overhaul and to let it go I wouldnt get a very good price for it. But I did just pull the trigger on a 47 The Martin Tenor that is all original and not a bastard horn like my other martin. So any info from anyone on the title of the thread will help me make a call on the sx90.

Thanks
Jimmie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,019 Posts
'I know most of yall will flame me for even thinking of that darkside'

? Anyway, since the KW needs an overhaul anyhow, why not use the plastic boosters? Maybe you can sell the set of brass boosters.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. Why not first Im doing the The martin but may as well order the pads for it also.

Jimmie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,284 Posts
Why not choose a more appropriate mouthpiece to obtain the darkness you are after.
Resonators are less likely to have the effect (or almost any effect) you’re after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts