Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Selmer Tenor Mark VII, one of the first made (at least the first my local music store received), Serial #244XXX. I played many years ago professionnaly for a long time (+/- 10 years) with several local bands. Jazz for fun, Top 40 for money. For a lot of reasons, I quite bands about 15 years ago and went back to school.

As you know, you get used to play YOUR horn, especially after many years. It's like a living person, you know its good sides and bad sides. Once, I tried switching one of my friend Mark VI neck (Serial #145XXX) with my Mark VII sax. WOW, my sound was the same but it was a lot easier to play, as if their was less resitance to airflow.

Having kids now (2 dauthers), and knowing that daddy was in an another life a good sax player, I have discovered a new interest practicing and having fun with my old buddy.

I will always remember the night I switched my neck as mentionned above. So, these days I'm looking on EBay to buy a Mark VI neck. Knowing that since then, Selmer did the Super Action 80, Serie II, Serie III, Ref. 36 & 54, etc. Does somebody has a better option for me, or my Mark VI neck still a good choice.

Thanks,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Here's a better option: buy a Ref 54 neck. My friend has a Mk VII and he slapped a Ref 54 neck on it. He is a great repairman and has played all the best horns. He says it now plays almost as well as a good VI. I heard him play and I have to agree. It sounds way better than any MK VII I've ever heard. Good core to the sound. With prices on VI necks as high as they are, I would try a Ref 54 neck if I were you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The problem you will face is that every Mk VI neck is different. Don't assume that because you liked one they will all play like that.

If you know that your life might be improved by another neck then you are on a quest to find the right one. Maybe an aftermarket neck will give you that sound and ease of playing or maybe you will need to try a Mk VI neck. The aftermarkets are probably more consistent but with the VI's you will have to try them individually to really know anything. The damn things are pretty much as individual as mouthopieces though. One man's gold may be another's poison.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
A good alternative to the original MK VII neck is a Barone. I occassionally use a bare brass Barone neck on my VII tenor. It will remind you very much of a MK VI neck and is a more consistant(probably) and less expensive(definately) alternative to an original VI neck. A lot easier to get too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts