Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play Tenor for about 15 years always inspired by the masters coltrane, rollins, henderson, bergonzi, brecker, marsallis, etc...
But one day I’ve tryed alto sax. And I don’t realize Whats happened but I completly fall in love... gorgious sound, dynamics, fast articulation, easy response etc... I can’t stop playing since I’ve discovered the alto...
I’m a little bit confused...
I realize that maybe I should focuse on alto and maybe become an altist, even if I’ve always prefered Tenor player ...
Did you ever had this kine of expérience ?
More often people switch from alto to tenor and for me it is the opposite !
Thanks for answer
Dam

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Bird, Ornette,Braxton, Desmond and on and on. the horn lends itself well both to haunting tones and accelerated gymnastics. easy to handle. what's not to like? and what's wrong with doubling? tripling?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,645 Posts
I play both, but prefer tenor.

IMO The thing to remember is that each sax expresses itself differently. If you try to play the alto the same way you play the tenor, you will be missing out on what the alto can do.

And there is no reason why you have to pick only one. Play them both if you like. Then you can do tenor things on the tenor, and alto things on the alto.

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Some of us started on Tenor and ended with the Alto. Many sound better on a determined horn, besides the practice needed for any instrument.

If you like it, go ahead and enjoy it. Many like the lines Tenor players have and yes, I do love Tenor sound and listen to it a lot, but prefer Alto. Playing is about enjoying it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I've always thought most people who end up playing tenor started on alto. So you broke the mold!

You can express yourself differently on each instrument, so go for it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try a bari, then go back to your tenor, perhaps you'll have a similar experience.
A bassist friend just commented that he experiences the ease of play and responsiveness when he goes from a 5-string to 4 string bass; I have the same experience both on bass guitar and between the saxes. I agree, the different instruments draw the different expression.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I started playing alto a few years ago after focusing exclusively on tenor for years. At first I thought it was easier, then I realized that I was wrong. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've always thought most people who end up playing tenor started on alto. So you broke the mold!

You can express yourself differently on each instrument, so go for it!
I think that's true, but especially for those who start young, in school, for example. A tenor is obviously heavier and bigger, so for those starting early in life, alto is usually the "recommended" path. I myself, being a grown man, wanted to start on tenor, but they didn't have any for rent. After six months learning on alto, I do like it a lot. And since the instruments are cheaper, I probably won't be acquiring a tenor any time soon, as I'm not good enough for that level of investment.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I play both, but prefer tenor.

IMO The thing to remember is that each sax expresses itself differently. If you try to play the alto the same way you play the tenor, you will be missing out on what the alto can do.

And there is no reason why you have to pick only one. Play them both if you like. Then you can do tenor things on the tenor, and alto things on the alto.

Insights and incites by Notes
+1

·
Registered
371 Posts
I started on alto 30 years or so and quickly moved to tenor then injured my back so moved back on alto about 18 years ago and have been playing it ever since and love the alto sound, seems to suit me better, probably play 80% alto and 10% each tenor and soprano.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for answer everybody,
Very interesting to read your experience on that!
Effectivly I fell my inspiration totally différent on alto. As I had something different to say with this différent horn. Différent register, différent voice, différent feeling.
Other thing, changing all keys ( Eb instrument now against Bb ) open my mind, and is very refreshing !!!!
I’ll spend Time on alto, in all case it will probably improve my tenor playing ( not about the sound for sure but ather aspect of improvising).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think we're spoiled here in the US. At almost any time one can pick up good playing student-level tenors for under $400. Whether they're Conn, Pan American, EM Winston, Jupiter, Yamaha 23, Evette, LA Sax, Monique, Venus, Bundy, or whatever - who cares. May be a good bit of play wear, and maybe not. With a very small investment any reed player can begin to double.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After giving alto a shot, when opportunity exists, try a bari and also soprano. Each because of their differing voice ranges, you'll find that certain pieces lend themselves better for one over the other. My favorite instruments are bari and soprano, although I also play alto and tenor. I like the bari because of its versatile voice range, has a really mellow upper range that is sweet to behold. The soprano's action is very light and lends itself to fast moving passages.

They all have their place and to each will have their own favorites accorded by their style and preferences.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After giving alto a shot, when opportunity exists, try a bari and also soprano. Each because of their differing voice ranges, you'll find that certain pieces lend themselves better for one over the other. My favorite instruments are bari and soprano, although I also play alto and tenor. I like the bari because of its versatile voice range, has a really mellow upper range that is sweet to behold. The soprano's action is very light and lends itself to fast moving passages.

They all have their place and to each will have their own favorites accorded by their style and preferences.
Play them all, they each have their own sound and place...I currently play 4 different sax's and started on Alto at 9, Tenor at 10 and Bari at 11...Now 65...I choose the right horn for the right sound on the song.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts