Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bad time with the rico jazz selects recently, have been on them for years but lately something is up. Finding them noticeably less consistent, and I feel like the cane doesnt have the same golden color it used to. I could also be completely wrong abut everything and its all in my head.

I would like to try rigotti, francois louis and alexander and my research suggests I should start with the rigotti jazz. My strength on the rjs has been 2h or 3s, I feel this gives the right balance of brightness/resistance etc. The mouthpieces I use on alto and tenor are a 6 meyer copy and a 7* florida link copy. I have checked all the strength charts I could find and think im gonna go for 2.5 strong.

Was wondering if anyone with personal experience could advise on the equivalent strength of rjs vs rigotti, fl and alexander. Also any information about the consistency and character of those reeds would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
I'd say a RJS 2H would = a 2.5 Strong

I like Rigotti a lot actually, and hopefully you'll find the same. Check with Getasax.com as Brian is carrying them and (I think) will even sell you individual reeds if you want to check them out.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
Yes, 2.5 strong Rigotti would be a good starting point, given the size reeds you were using. I find both 2.5 strong & 3 light work well for me. I can use either just fine, but mostly have gone to the 3 light. And Rigotti are by far the best reeds I've found, although I haven't tried every brand out there.

One thing, though, don't be tempted to buy only one reed!! You need to get a box of them because while the Rigottis are fairly consistent, they still vary as any cane reed will. Even if you end up going to a 3 light, you'll still be able use the 2.5 strongs. Good luck, but I'll bet you like the Rigottis.

·
Registered
773 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts