Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Two basic notes:

1). If you are doing Jazz Band, I would urge you to re-consider your desire for a warmer darker sound. You might actually blend in too much. Lots of instruments can mimic the warmer sound. For example, I can get my old Conn Tenor to sound a lot like cello in the low range when I put an old Gregory mouthpiece on it. It is great if I want to play classical, or for soloing in a small ensemble, but it doesn’t highlight my uniqueness in a larger ensemble.........caveat....if you love the dark sound, stick with it.

2). If you are stepping up to tenor as a student, I am going to make the assumption that you are pretty good at the sax and that you actually enjoy playing on your own......so you will keep this up for a few years. In this case, I recommend seeing if you can find a shop that will rent you one of the better Yamaha’s on a rent-to-own program. Your school might have a recommended vendor, but that doesn’t mean they are either cheaper than the competition or that they have the right horn for you. Often recommended vendors are only selected because they make your teacher’s life easier. (I live in a city of 50,000 people and there are 2 shops that rent for students within 30 minutes of my house. Just check out the internet to find out who rents). For my son’s school, the recommended vendor is definitely not the cheapest option.......but they help the teacher with ‘free’ instrument fittings and other stuff, so the teacher pushes business their way.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts