Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swedging the right hand b flat and b drill keys of the clarinet

Hello, when swedging the right hand drill keys in the upper joint of the clarinet (indicated as nr. 1 & 2 in the fig.) I find difficulties. Do you please have any advices or ideas how it can be carried out in a better and more reliable way?
Most of all the "upper key", the key for the tone b (nr. 1 in the fig.) is difficult to get a snug fit to the key that is a bearing inside of it. Much so due to the fact that it is a thin material of the tube and also, maybe because the tubing inside is made of brass or brass with a plating.
I have some pliers that I´ve made myself for the purpose of swedging.

Kind regards

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
If I understand your post correctly you are referring to the top two side trill keys on the upper stack on which the hinge tube of the lower key fits inside the hinge tube of the higher key and they are both on one hinge rod.

If the problem is that the fit of larger of the two hinge tubes is too loose over the smaller one and the smaller one is snug on its hinge rod, you are going to have to measure the diameter of the smaller hinge tube and find a steel pin plug or drill bit that is .001" larger. You do not want to try to swedge the outer tube with the smaller brass tube inside. If you don't have a set of pin plugs in 1/1000" increments in that size, perhaps you can make one on a lathe out of drill stock or have one made for you. Once the larger hinge tube is swedged to fit more snugly, it will probably be too long in which case it will have to be shortened in a way that keeps the end perfectly perpendicular to the tube.

I apologize if I misunderstood the question and gave a response that doesn't apply.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you saxoclese, you understood the question quite well though I can´t see the logics in calling these two drill keys upper stack. Mostly because I think a stack is in some way united in some regard. Thank you for the idea.
Actually, what I have been doing so far is swedging the outer tube with the thinner brass tube inside. Is there anybody who knows a (common or) standard value for the diameter of the exterior of the inner tube, please?

Kind regards

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Sorry, I should have called it the top joint or upper joint. You are correct that the work "stack" generally refers to the "inline" keys that create the basic diatonic scale. If you insist on swedging the larger tube with the smaller tube inside, at least make sure there is a steel rod inside the small one. Let us know how that works for you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you insist on swedging the larger tube with the smaller tube inside, at least make sure there is a steel rod inside the small one. Let us know how that works for you.

I´ve always done that and find it too hazardous. thanks. How do you do it?
Best regards

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
...Is there anybody who knows a (common or) standard value for the diameter of the exterior of the inner tube, please?...
There's nothing much standard about this sort of thing. You adjust one part to fit another.

The collet swedging tool is far better for this sort of demanding work than the plier-type tools.
And if you use a plier-type tool on the inner tube, do not expect it to be round enough for the outer tube to swing smoothly and accurately. The plier-type tools have a slightly ovalling action unless the diameter of the swedging hole exactly matches the intended tube OD.

Getting rid of wobble for these two keys needs high precision. And for some clarinets it is unstable because of tubing having too little wall thickness and being made of over-soft metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts