Votes: 217 77.8%
  • No, I never swab my sax.

Votes: 62 22.2%
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a student ask me the other day how to use the swab that came with his sax and how often to do it. It then occurred to me that in over 30 year of playing the sax I have never actually swabbed my sax. How many of you guys do this and how many don't. Just curious.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I do swab it, but usually only when demonstrating to kids. Otherwise, I just tip it upside down.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use the floor to collect the goo at the botom of my tenor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So hard to swab a bari, it's not even worth it. So I've been told.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I swab both my alto and tenor after everytime time I use them. It's just become a habit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
If the sax has to go straight into the case I tip and swab. If I can leave it on the stand to dry I just tip, no swabbing.

By the way, the difference between a garbage truck and a bari sax is that one is a large, scum-encrusted, smelly object that attracts flies. The other has wheels and drives around picking up trash.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
retread said:
By the way, the difference between a garbage truck and a bari sax is that one is a large, scum-encrusted, smelly object that attracts flies. The other has wheels and drives around picking up trash.
My tech told me that one with a tuba in the place of Bari Sax. That was to my face, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
I swab my saxophones each time I play them, even the baritone. The baritone swab I have is only for the crook. Even though this swab is expensive, since my bari is bare brass and I don't want it to stay damp for any lengthy period of time, I think it's worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
I swab them all before putting them in the case. I swab the clarinet more often, sometimes between movements of a symphony, and again when I put it in the case.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use a pad saver in all my saxes.

F

·
0 Posts
After each use:
  • Swab horn and neck piece
  • Rinse and dry mouth piece
  • Rinse and stow reed in reed case
Once a month:
  • Apply light oil on all key actions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
I swab alto and tenor every time and use a pad saver on the sop. Keeps them clear of cockroaches.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I swab the neck and the body of my alto separately, let it sit/dry out for a few minutes, then put an insert in the body to keep moisture out since I keep it on a stand. I also use a piece of rolling paper on the G# pad to avoid sticking. I also swab, or wash-then swab the mouthpiece. The process takes no time and really prevents sticking for me which I had before I started doing the process.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
If the horns are on a stand, I flip them over, and then put them on a stand. I don't really do anything with the mouthpieces. I throw them in hot water about Once a month maybe. And then they go back on.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Carbs said:
If the horns are on a stand, I flip them over, and then put them on a stand. I don't really do anything with the mouthpieces. I throw them in hot water about Once a month maybe. And then they go back on.
I have been told only to use warm water for rubber mouthpieces;hot water will warp the facing of a rubber mouthpiece. Do not know if this is true. Any thoughts???

1 - 20 of 108 Posts