Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am worried that swabbing out my mouthpiece with the neck saver will wear out the walls and the inside of the mouthpiece, because after 3 weeks of doing this, the surface feels smoother. Please help!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Is your neck saver made of steel wool? Brass bristles? Sandpaper? ;)

I think your mouthpiece is safe from internal damage using the soft neck saver.
I've been swabbing my mouthpieces out with silk swabs for a REALLY long time (30+ years) and they haven't suffered any noticable 'internal damage'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Life is too short to worry about this sort of thing. And consider what it would be like in there if you didn't swab it out. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Hi, I am worried that swabbing out my mouthpiece with the neck saver will wear out the walls and the inside of the mouthpiece, because after 3 weeks of doing this, the surface feels smoother. Please help!

Are you swabbing it out 500 times a day? :bluewink:
3 weeks is nothing.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
500 times a day with sandpaper perhaps?

You might have "gasp!" cleaned it. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was always taught that any little change in the mouthpiece makes a huge difference and it is even dangerous to stick your finger in it. I remember someone telling me that if you want to clean your mouthpiece and you are really brave, then take a cotton swab and gently wipe off the inside. But now I am starting to question that... Have I been taught wrong? I have never cleaned out my mouthpiece and after 4 years of playing on it, the inside is pretty gross.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
What a bunch of OCD people!!! :shock:

Get this and use it every time you're done playing for the day.

Don't use this :

·
Registered
103 Posts
So how exactly do you clean a mouthpiece? The last time I used luke warm water and some soap or something and my mouthpiece started to turn green... Are you allowed to just run it under water or wipe it down with a wet cottonball?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Just run it under cold or tepid water, your fingerprint is enough of an abrasive to clean it out, just clean the beak & the inside like this under a running tap. I do it everytime I play, I also clean the reed & wet it in the same fashion.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
So how exactly do you clean a mouthpiece? The last time I used luke warm water and some soap or something and my mouthpiece started to turn green... Are you allowed to just run it under water or wipe it down with a wet cottonball?
The water you used was too hot.

Cotton is going to leave some cotton fibers all over. You can use a mild soap (the same you would use to wash your hands with) as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Yup, the water was too hot. Leukwarm is just a hair past cold.
If the mouthpiece is still 'green' you can remove some of the discoloration by rubbing it with toothpaste on a soft cloth.
Rinse in cool water.
If you want to make it 'shiney' rub a very light coating of olive oil on it. No olive oil, no biggie. Any 'food safe' oil will do the trick. Do not use baby oil. The fragrance will make your mouthpiece taste REALLY BAD.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
I was always taught that any little change in the mouthpiece makes a huge difference and it is even dangerous to stick your finger in it. I remember someone telling me that if you want to clean your mouthpiece and you are really brave, then take a cotton swab and gently wipe off the inside. But now I am starting to question that... Have I been taught wrong? I have never cleaned out my mouthpiece and after 4 years of playing on it, the inside is pretty gross.
That IS gross. Please wash with cold water and soap.

Get this and use it every time you're done playing for the day.

I use this one. Excellent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't worry, I just cleaned my mouthpiece! It took about 20 minutes to get all of the stuff out, but it looks so much better now! Thanks for your help! It hasn't looked this good since I first bought it! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts