Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I am as much of a sucker as anyone for upgrading gear; silver screw, metal thumb rest, you name it. And I have a drawer full of ligatures ranging from rovner lights to olegs, optimums, m/0 to name a few. I recently went through all of them looking for a good match for an rpc rollover I have. In my head I think that the more expensive ligs MUST work better. But I tried a cheap stock nickel silver lig Ron includes with his pieces and to my great surprise it works best. Go figure. (Of course, I am STILL doubting this in spite of my actual playing experience and have a Rovner platinum on order to try...) Old habits die hard I guess....

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have been a Winslow fan for 25+ years. What I can get with different tensions as far as reed accomodations makes them worth it to me. I can save a reed dying mid set by moving the lig and changing tension. One secret imo with that design is worn out bumper pads. I barley change them, and notice it's harder to get that perfect tension when they are new and stiff. If it's chops in a box I bought in years ago😀 ymmv

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I have been a Winslow fan for 25+ years. What I can get with different tensions as far as reed accomodations makes them worth it to me. I can save a reed dying mid set by moving the lig and changing tension. One secret imo with that design is worn out bumper pads. I barley change them, and notice it's harder to get that perfect tension when they are new and stiff. If it's chops in a box I bought in years ago�� ymmv
I suspect that if you are able to fiddle with the ligature and "save a reed that's dying" it's because the back of the reed has become convex and fooling with the ligature makes it seal a little better. Seems to me that having the reed seal to the table would be better, because then you would have predictable behavior.

(I have used the cheapest Rovner ligature as my preferred ligature on almost everything since 1978.)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,621 Posts
But I tried a cheap stock nickel silver lig Ron includes with his pieces and to my great surprise it works best. Go figure. .
There is no "Go figure"... we have known for a long time that a ligature makes no difference to the sound. The one Ron includes is the AWM big, same one I recommend for my mouthpieces (or Rovner) and costs about $5. AS long as it fits , it's as good as any ligature costing 10 or 20 x the amount.

The issue (which isn't really an issue) is when people believe the voodoo that you have to pay loads for some magic "chops in a box". Just get a ligature that fits, spend the time on practice and the money on nice dinner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,004 Posts
I used to scoff at the 'Rovner guys' because I thought they were just profiling or desperate for a sound. Then I tried one - BAM! Response was evened-out and it was simply easier to play. Now on one mouthpiece it made the difference between keeping it and selling it - a Level Air baritone. I already had a Rovner MKIII/C-3ML that I had used on a previous bari piece and it also happened to fit the LA, so I tried it, and it really brought it to life. No lig can make a bad mouthpiece good, but the right lig on a good mouthpiece improves it. I play various Rovners on everything except soprano and that's only because I don't physically like a Rovner on that small mouthpiece. My only beef with Rovner is they rarely keep making the same model - constantly bringing out new ones that just confuses the issue. But by and large they do function as advertised.
With any ligature, you need to keep the screws lubricated - believe it or not, it actually makes a difference, and Rovner recommends it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm a rover fan as well, I use a Dukoff MP that tends to be bright & more so with some of my metal legs. It just seems like the Rovner calms it down a bit & is very easy to do do quick reed swaps on gigs.

If the above is a mental thing vs an actual thing.... then fine.... Leave me to my self deception... it makes room for all the other stuff I obsess about at gigs.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
[QUOTE=because;3853528. It just seems like the Rovner calms it down a bit & is very easy to do do quick reed swaps on gigs.
I agree and have always gone back to Rovner ligatures. To my way of hearing, it takes harshness out of the upper partials. Of course it's all in the ear of the behearer (isn't that a Dewey Redman title?}

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is no "Go figure"... we have known for a long time that a ligature makes no difference to the sound. The one Ron includes is the AWM big, same one I recommend for my mouthpieces (or Rovner) and costs about $5. AS long as it fits , it's as good as any ligature costing 10 or 20 x the amount.

The issue (which isn't really an issue) is when people believe the voodoo that you have to pay loads for some magic "chops in a box". Just get a ligature that fits, spend the time on practice and the money on nice dinner.
+1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,218 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I used Birch brand shoelaces forever, then switched to OrthoStep and it changed my sound completely. It had so much more sole. I could play half steps and whole steps so much more easily. I sounded just like Steve Lacey.

·
Registered
513 Posts
:mrgreen:
I used Birch brand shoelaces forever, then switched to OrthoStep and it changed my sound completely. It had so much more sole. I could play half steps and whole steps so much more easily. I sounded just like Steve Lacey.
you are no doubt saying that "tongue" in cheek!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Just bought an $8 single-screw soprano lig on Amazonia for my new slim tenor Berg. Looks just like my $50 Vandoren M/O. If it doesn't fit, I'll buy an alto lig for $8.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,144 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts
As soon as I decided that I was going to collect mouthpieces, I kept my eye out.

Before long a bought a whole package box of assorted vintage 2 screw ligs SATB for a song.

One of these is perfect for nearly every mouthpiece.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Man up and spend the big bucks, I bought this piece a few months ago for $16.00 and free shipping.
Best I can tell it is knock off of a Ishimori ligature that sells for around $200.00.
Not saying it is the same quality but it is a good copy at about a 10th the price and you cannot buy the Ishimori as they are out of stock everywhere. Has an oval hole in the base instead of round and it did required some delicate bending and tweaking with plastic jawed pliers but fits a rubber Otto link really well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Easter...hash=item591ce1a226:m:m80H36VK8gJh24_7QBU0SJw

1 - 20 of 72 Posts