Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
A noble task, but one which I won't be able to participate in.

I have a whole bunch of different makes of reeds. I put them all in a big pile and pull them out one at a time (without know what make they are) to test them.

My tests are quite extensive, not just to find out how the reed sounds up and down a scale. I test how reposive the alitissimo is, whether there is a bit of a buzzy overtone on the subtones etc.

I end up with half a dozen really good reeds which are the ones I use for recording. These reeds all have what I am looking for (the sound and response) and because I have cherry picked them for all the criteria I require, they are all more or less the same. However when I look at them, they are different makes.

If I then try a few of the ones I rejected, in order to work on them, I find that there is more variance between several reeds of one make than between different makes.

I'm not saying this as a general truth for everyone, it's just the way it is for me so I would find your survey impossible, sorry about that.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Hi Pete. I thought you were using legere plastic reeds now? Have you changed back to cane?
I use both cane and Legere. At some stage I will probably move to Legere exclusively, but while I have lots of boxes of reeds hanging around I tend to try them out and use them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts