Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a project for my A2 Design and Technology. I would like to make something for a saxophone player or other musician, so my question to you is..

If you could have 3 pieces of equipment eg. music stand, saxophone stand etc. (non electrical) what would you have? Are there any designs, that you would like improved or combined? Why?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
I want a music stand with a battery operated light that has attached stands for ATB saxophones, 2 clarinets, flute, piccolo, and a cup holder.
All instruments must be easily accessable and fit into the confined space of a theater pit. Think bumping elbows with the musicians on either side of you...
It also must be quick to set up, tear down, stable, and not weigh over 5 pounds.

Can you do that? :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I second the suggestion of a music stand.

I don't need a light but it should be:

easy to carry in one hand with sheet music;

strong enough to hold a concert band portfolio of music;

include an instrument stand;

and a water bottle holder.

Dennis

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
I want a music stand with a battery operated light that has attached stands for ATB saxophones, 2 clarinets, flute, piccolo, and a cup holder.
All instruments must be easily accessable and fit into the confined space of a theater pit. Think bumping elbows with the musicians on either side of you...
It also must be quick to set up, tear down, stable, and not weigh over 5 pounds.

That would sure be something! Here a three of my wishes:

1. I was already thinking music stand with built-in light that is actually bright enough to read under before I read Bandmommy's post.

2. Personal air conditioning/ cooling system (other than set-break beers) that doesn't chop up your sound when playing outdoors or under super-hot stage lighting. You know the sound: L-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-k-e, I-I-I-I a-a-a-m-m-m y-y-o-o-u-u-r-r-r f-a-a-a-th-th-th-e-e-r-r-r....Only horn players get it, everyone else's sound is coming from an external source like an amp.

3. Always on my list is a more sturdy and reliable sax stand. I put it in the case between sets, but I switch on the fly, and usually more than once per song between sax, congas, bongo, guirro, and a slew of other percussion instruments...I am all over the place, and I am always worried about the sax falling over.

Hope that helps, and be sure to let us know if you come up with something cool...After the patent application of course. :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'd love a 6 peg stand sorta like Performance Gears one except pegs for Flute, Clarinet, Alto flute, Piccolo, Oboe.

·
Registered
489 Posts
How about a clarinet stand (not attached to anything) that will not fall over no matter what? My band made had her really nice Yamaha knocked over a few weeks ago.

Or how about a sax stand that's a little more secure?

I guess Manhassett used to make drink and ashtray holders in their stands...that's cool...ahhh the good ol' days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah sax stands are very insecure... 2 weeks ago mine was knocked over, by noone else than my mum.. she caught hers but of course mine fell to the floor, but no damage the repair man couldnt fix!

·
19,200 Posts
How about a clarinet stand (not attached to anything) that will not fall over no matter what? My band made had her really nice Yamaha knocked over a few weeks ago. Or how about a sax stand that's a little more secure?

I guess Manhassett used to make drink and ashtray holders in their stands...that's cool...ahhh the good ol' days.
If you tuck the clarinet stand up tight between the feet of the music stand no one can kick it over except you!
40 years of playing has taught me that simple little trick. :bluewink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
A music stand with a willowy shape like a French girl standing on the corner of Rue Larouchefoucald waiting for a bus with the wind wafting her thin dress as she waits would be my wish. It might resemble a thin modern statue with curvy lines that are not parallel. Natural stained wood or some modern metal could be used in making it. If you don't make it, I plan to, but have not had the time lately. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts

You have thought about this a lot I can tell. It would be a great sight to see! I don't play in pits but I still want to see this thing come to life with all the horns out, organized, with lights. You should paint yours with flames of something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would want either a music stand that could hold a significant amout of weight,
or a Tenor saxophone stand that would not fall over.

The latter would probably be achievable by taking the stand and arranging its mass so when the sax is put on it, the center of gravity would be somewhere either at the bottom of the sax or underneath the sax.

Putting weight on the stands legs could do this.
also some type of security cushion to, in case of the stand falling over (there is only so much mass you can add before equiptment becomes impractical, of course), that the main body of the instrument is protected by some sort of exoskeleton cage thingy made out of some lightweight material like some type of alluminum alloy that they use to make planes. The neck, of course, would have to take a hit.... but as long as the main part of the sax is ok,....

Just a suggestion.
Sorry I got really into it. Future Physics/Music double major.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
That would sure be something! Here a three of my wishes:

1. I was already thinking music stand with built-in light that is actually bright enough to read under before I read Bandmommy's post.

2. Personal air conditioning/ cooling system (other than set-break beers) that doesn't chop up your sound when playing outdoors or under super-hot stage lighting. You know the sound: L-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-k-e, I-I-I-I a-a-a-m-m-m y-y-o-o-u-u-r-r-r f-a-a-a-th-th-th-e-e-r-r-r....Only horn players get it, everyone else's sound is coming from an external source like an amp.

3. Always on my list is a more sturdy and reliable sax stand. I put it in the case between sets, but I switch on the fly, and usually more than once per song between sax, congas, bongo, guirro, and a slew of other percussion instruments...I am all over the place, and I am always worried about the sax falling over.

Hope that helps, and be sure to let us know if you come up with something cool...After the patent application of course. :bluewink:
Vornado fan.

I think a music stand with a light that works well and a cup holder would be grand.

·
19,200 Posts
You have thought about this a lot I can tell. It would be a great sight to see! I don't play in pits but I still want to see this thing come to life with all the horns out, organized, with lights. You should paint yours with flames of something.
When you get the opportunity to play in a pit you'll know exactly why I want one of these.
I don't know about the flames though... It might be a little too 'Redneck' for those high society theater goers.
One question, If this monstrosity ever gets produced will it be named after me? :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
When you get the opportunity to play in a pit you'll know exactly why I want one of these.
I don't know about the flames though... It might be a little too 'Redneck' for those high society theater goers.
One question, If this monstrosity ever gets produced will it be named after me? :mrgreen:
I vote yes it will. What better name than the Bandmommy. It keeps your gear safe, snug and ready to go!

·
19,200 Posts
That does sound better than "The Pit Monster" :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts