Sax on the Web Forum banner

Should Distinguished Member Selection be More Democratic?

• Yes

Votes: 48 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 82 63.1%
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered how one achieves Distinguished Status on here. As a casual observer it would appear that it's totally a Popularity Contest and has nothing to do whatsoever with a player's skills, knowledge base, or longevity as a working pro. In other words, it seems like the status is rather political and granted in a rather arbitrary fashion by the Powers That Be (i.e., Moderators). I guess it's a lot like promotions at work and the rest of the real world. But since this is a Forum--a word which implies the democratic ideal, especially in an informational context--couldn't this be made a more democratic process? Why not have members vote every month (or every quarter or something) on who should be admitted to this select club?

Believe me, I have no interest in this designation myself, preferring my renegade, anti-establishment status. :twisted: However, I am bothered by what I believe to be some rather glaring inequities in the current selection process. In other words, there are some members who should've received their DS and their cute taglines long ago, whereas some who just joined recently (or just took up the horn a couple years ago) are Distinguished Members. I'm not saying that these members don't deserve it. I just think it should be made a little more democratic--more fair, perhaps? It will still be political for sure, but maybe it could be more like student council elections, in which the membership would have a say. Members up for consideration could even be scored on critera such as subject knowledge, real world experience, and overall popularity (comedic skills, etc.).

We could even do it secretly by having people email their choices for poll consideration to the mods. And we could have a contest to come up with most fitting tagline for that member.

Or we could start by doing it informally like this:

I'll start things off by motioning that "JL" (John Lull) be made a Distinguished Member.

His tagline should definitely have something to do with vintage Buescher's, a subject that he is has shown himself to be very passionate about.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Any other members overdue in achieving their rightful status?

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that definitely seems to fit. :)

Here's another possibility for the Distinguished Status--Kritavi. He's (Jim W.'s) one of the most respected members on the Forum, as both a knowledgeable pro and a reputable Marketplace seller.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,813 Posts
Swingtone said:
Yes, that definitely seems to fit. :)

Here's another possibility for the Distinguished Status--Kritavi. He's (Jim W.'s) one of the most respected members on the Forum, as both a knowledgeable pro and a reputable Marketplace seller.
If asked, I'd nominate awholley. Half of what I know I've learned from him, and that's probably only 1/100th of what he knows. Aside from being a great contributor, he's a model SOTW citizen as well. But I don't want to hurt his chances ;)

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean. I asked why JL wasn't a Distinguished Member last year, and I've always wondered if my endorsement actually hurt his chances! ;) Not that it's keeping him up nights or anything.... :D

How about Phil Barone? I know he's controversial, but I've always felt the Forum should be honored by his presence. He deserves some kind of tagline other than just generic "Contributor." And no, it shouldn't have anything to do with nutrition! ;) It should focus on what he's known for, of course.

I'm sure there are many, many others worthy of serious consideration.

BTW I second the motion for awholley.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,347 Posts
I'll gladly give up that title that was added to my byline. I didn't solicit it for sure and I really don't think I'm "distinguished" except that I've posted a lot (high-speed connection and retired).

I'm wondering if it has to do partly with making a financial contribution to Harri (which I've done) or the number of posts (I haven't looked at that part of it).

I agree that there are a number of posters who post solid information and appear to be distinguished. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
I vote no. If you want a popularity contest vote yes.

If/when it ever pops up under my ID, I'll know I did something right. Till then, I don't care much.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I understand it's not worth losing sleep over it. But don't take this little exercise too seriously. ;) I didn't bring it up just to bring attention to those who have been overlooked. I also thought it would be fun and add a little more camaraderie to this place. :)

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Criteria

Dave Dolson said:

I'm wondering if it has to do partly with making a financial contribution to Harri (which I've done) or the number of posts (I haven't looked at that part of it).

I agree that there are a number of posters who post solid information and appear to be distinguished. DAVE
Gandalfe and other administrators have been running the "Distinguished Member" process very independently. It has to do both with the quantity and quality of member's posts. Dave, you certainly met the criteria.

One thing is for sure: Making a financial contribution to the SOTW is fully separate process. Today I received a donation from a member who joined yesterday. No posts, yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I vote "No". This is not a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship and that's the way it should stay. Thank you Oh Benevolent One (The most honorable and benevolent Harri Rautiainen).

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Harri,

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Any chance you could put in a good word for Awholley, JL (John L.), and Shmuelyosef to be added to the list of SOTW's most distinguished? I forgot to include the latter member before, but IMO he has shown himself to be very knowledgeable over the years, especially on the subject of vintage King saxophones. In fact, he may be the Forum's most knowledgeable source on that subject.

All three of those guys have been around here for a long time, and have proved themselves to be fonts of knowledge. In addition, at least one is a working pro with the performance hours to back up his contributions.

Since I'm sure I'm forgetting some members with equal longevity and subject knowledge, maybe you need to take a more systematic approach instead of the casual approach that appears to have been taken so far. Maybe I'm the only one who's noticed this, but up until now--and contrary to what someone posted earlier--it seems to have been more of a popularity contest than a process with actual criteria for selection. I'm basing this on the fact that several clearly knowledgeable, visible members who have been here since Feb of 03 have yet to attain this designation, while some who have joined more recently (and who don't appear to have the same depth of knowledge) have. I'm just trying to make some sense of it.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that off-screen experience and subject knowledge ought to be taken into account moreso than one's ability to entertain the rest of the membership or win an argument with a clever turn of phrase.

Just my 2 cents....

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jrvinson45 said:
I vote "No". This is not a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship and that's the way it should stay. Thank you Oh Benevolent One (The most honorable and benevolent Harri Rautiainen).
Spoken like a true "organization man." :D Are you waiting around hoping that someone will reward you for "doing something right," too (whatever the Powers That Be define that to be)? I know you weren't the one who said it (and your comments were clearly tongue-in-cheek), but that statement reminded me a little too much of a George Orwell novel. :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,235 Posts
I thought it was more Kafkaesque (see The Trial) than Orwellian.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I don't know :dontknow: ......it just showed up one day :scratch:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,792 Posts
Hakukani just posted his 3000th post in 6 months. 500/month average, and he went on vacation. At this rate, he'll pass Gary in just over one more year, shorter if Germany can't handle the needs of cyberGary.

Prolific isn't strong enough to describe what's happening here.

Saturation poster? Fully Automatic Machine Gun Poster? (no that one's mine)

Maybe Full Time All Finger Drive Poster? OCP? (Obsessive Compulsive Poster Disorder?)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Distinguished!! There's a thing I misread it as 'extinguished' :D

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The results of this poll so far indicate that people really do prefer to be sheep, just laying back and waiting for The Man to recognize them for doing something right. Only when it's too late do they realize all they're going to get is a lame dinner and a silver cup with their name on it. (Ever see "About Schmidt?") And many won't even get that. Kind of reminds me of the American public as a whole these days.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I've lost no sleep over it, have you?

1 - 20 of 208 Posts