Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Many years ago I bought a couple of Runyon mouthpiece from a SOTW fellow. One of them was a white Model 22 which I kept on my drawer for many years. Now, while trying to deal with my compulsive collecting syndrome, I decided to sell the mouthpieces I don't use. So, I opened this Model 22 #4 to 0.070 and recorded a video for showing the way the mouthpiece sounds and I can't believe how it sounds. I'm afraid I'll not sell it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
having your #4 refaced to .070 - what was the opening prior? eg: standard #4 tip opening? I ask this question coz' I bought a Runyon 22 #4 for the alto playing daughter of very close friends. She has been playing this for a couple of years now exclusively (with any 2.5 strength reed - she doesn't care which) with the schools bands she is in. Me is thinkin' maybe its time to open it a little. I believe the #5 has an opening of .073 and the #6 .077 Tryin' to calculate rearwards I kinda' guestimated the standard #4 opening would have been .068 maybe? ? ?

thanks
Glenn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I would urge anyone thinking of this to consider the value of the Model 22 as a blank.

Mojo fixed one up for me --- original .068 was surprisingly good, although it was a little tough to blow through at the extreme ranges of the horn.

He found some irregularities in the curve, smoothed those out, moved the tip to .076 as I prefer, and WHAM!

Really crisp. An alto sound paradigm that I am glad I did not pass up.

Blowing a Chu.

Blank was a Gigliotti.

·
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
having your #4 refaced to .070 - what was the opening prior? eg: standard #4 tip opening? I ask this question coz' I bought a Runyon 22 #4 for the alto playing daughter of very close friends. She has been playing this for a couple of years now exclusively (with any 2.5 strength reed - she doesn't care which) with the schools bands she is in. Me is thinkin' maybe its time to open it a little. I believe the #5 has an opening of .073 and the #6 .077 Tryin' to calculate rearwards I kinda' guestimated the standard #4 opening would have been .068 maybe? ? ?

thanks
Glenn
According to Runyon charts their #4 is 0.064' but since I flattened the table at first it became a bit smaller. Then I opened it to 0.070' which is similar to a Meyer 5.

·
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would urge anyone thinking of this to consider the value of the Model 22 as a blank.

Mojo fixed one up for me --- original .068 was surprisingly good, although it was a little tough to blow through at the extreme ranges of the horn.

He found some irregularities in the curve, smoothed those out, moved the tip to .076 as I prefer, and WHAM!

Really crisp. An alto sound paradigm that I am glad I did not pass up.

Blowing a Chu.

Blank was a Gigliotti.
Same applies to most of cheap plastic mouthpieces. I guess I'm starting to prefer (refaced) plastic mouthpieces over hard rubber mouthpieces, plastic mouthpieces didn't deteriorate as HR mouthpieces do and smells far better than HR mouthpieces (if you brush your teeth before playing, otherwise this point is not relevant).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Same applies to most of cheap plastic mouthpieces. I guess I'm starting to prefer (refaced) plastic mouthpieces over hard rubber mouthpieces, plastic mouthpieces didn't deteriorate as HR mouthpieces do and smells far better than HR mouthpieces (if you brush your teeth before playing, otherwise this point is not relevant).
I have had excellent luck with Brilhart Ebolins and Yamaha 5Cs, also.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've been using a Model 88 on bari, out of the box. After playing an RPC w/ baffle for a long time. The RPC probably has more potential - more potential than I can really take advantage of, but by the same token it requires more practice and skill just to sound OK. That's your pro mouthpiece. The Model 88 just delivers a sweet sound with a #3 3.0 G-reed and never gives me any trouble. If it's a student mouthpiece, I guess students have it pretty good.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
hmm, thank you for that most sincerely - very interesting. When I purchased this "old stock" Runyon MP (different to the later models I've seen) I got a 2nd coz' they were being sold off rather affordably. I kept this myself (as a spare) in case the young woman had issues / lost / broke the one she had. I might get this 'spare' modified and see how she goes.

Glenn

·
3,014 Posts
found a long lost runyon blue model 22 alto mpc that i bought and never tried at the bottom of a box of stuff recently. today i tried it and wow was i suprised how good it is. i mean its really good!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts