Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an 82Z UL that I figured I just wasn't going to play much so I sold it. Sure enough, a week later, I get a call for a new but easy gig not needing a killer ax. Time to buy a new horn. But since alto isn't my main horn (and I'm saving for a Ref 54 tenor (at least I think that's what I want)), figured since Dave Kessler steered me well for the $ on my 590LQ Antiqua sop, I'd give him a call and talk about my needs.

Figured I'd buy the Unison 2000 but based on what I'm looking for and need, he talked me into the Kessler red brass with the copper bell and bow that was the factory goof. ( http://www.kesslermusic.com/KesslerCustomSax/kcadc85/copper.htm ). Upgraded the extra $80 too for the short shank MP they created.

Figured what the hell. Haven't read anybody yet say they aren't great horns for the bread. Worst case, I'll return it and dig deeper and get the Yani 901 or even the 991. But I'm betting that Kessler's better than my alto skills are anyway.

So, very much looking forward to getting the horn next week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Let us know how it compares to the Z. I've played a new Unison tenor and it was actually very good. I wonder if the Kessler is anything like that . . . . ?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
steve0617 said:
Had an 82Z UL that I figured I just wasn't going to play much so I sold it. Sure enough, a week later, I get a call for a new but easy gig not needing a killer ax. Time to buy a new horn. But since alto isn't my main horn (and I'm saving for a Ref 54 tenor (at least I think that's what I want)), figured since Dave Kessler steered me well for the $ on my 590LQ Antiqua sop, I'd give him a call and talk about my needs.

Figured I'd buy the Unison 2000 but based on what I'm looking for and need, he talked me into the Kessler red brass with the copper bell and bow that was the factory goof. ( http://www.kesslermusic.com/KesslerCustomSax/kcadc85/copper.htm ). Upgraded the extra $80 too for the short shank MP they created.

Figured what the hell. Haven't read anybody yet say they aren't great horns for the bread. Worst case, I'll return it and dig deeper and get the Yani 901 or even the 991. But I'm betting that Kessler's better than my alto skills are anyway.

So, very much looking forward to getting the horn next week.
Just an update... your horn shipped out yesterday. My person that I was on the phone with at the other location was not 100% correct. The horn that we had (since yours was the last of my in stock RedBrass horns) was simply the copper bow model with the RedBrass bell and body.

Either case, it is on the way and am looking forward to your review.

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fabienlevrai said:
nice horn man!

how does it sounds and plays now?
You know what? It's pretty damn good. Would any of the big four manufactures lose sleep over the existence of this horn? No. But for a grand? It kicks the hell out of anything else I've ever tried that was in the same price range.

Good warm sound. Fairly full sounding, and that’s only with an hour or so of playing it with the two also pieces I own and one brand/strength of reed. Intonation seems really good. Solid feel. Heavy horn too. Key layout seems good although for me personally, the distance between the b and biz b flat is too far apart. Not a big deal, and if I played the horn a ton, I'd figure out a way to decrease the space.

And I get a bit of a gurgle on the lower end when playing soft. That's probably an adjustment or even me needing to play the horn more rather than the design's fault.

All in all, a very nice horn for not a lot of bread. If you need a back up horn to your perfect VI, or you're needing an alto as a horn to have but not play much, or your kid is starting out and $1500 for a new YAS-23 is too steep, give this thing a long look. Totally worth the bread. Plays better in tune than I was ever able to do on the Z. Warmer sound too. I haven't played the non copper Kessler horns so I can't compare the tone, but I like this one.

·
Banned
592 Posts
steve0617 said:
And I get a bit of a gurgle on the lower end when playing soft. That's probably an adjustment or even me needing to play the horn more rather than the design's fault.
I bought one of the red brass/copper bow & bell "oddities" back in June. I get the gurgle on low c and below, too. My horn seems to be kind of finicky about mpcs. Best matchup I've found so far is a hard rubber Yanagisawa 7.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mlscnr said:
I bought one of the red brass/copper bow & bell "oddities" back in June. I get the gurgle on low c and below, too. My horn seems to be kind of finicky about mpcs. Best matchup I've found so far is a hard rubber Yanagisawa 7.
Funny thing, I'm using my Yani 7 metal and the gurling isn't an issue. But when it was with a HR MP, I just threw the lig cover in the bell. Gurgle gone. Used to do the same thing with an old curved sop I had. Cured the gurgle right up.

Not the best way to do it of course, but it worked.

·
Banned
592 Posts
And the gurgle goes away with my rubber Yani 7, too. Interesting that we both ended up playing Yani mpcs. I guess they just match up well with these horns.

If I remember right, Dave had posted that the Yani necks played great on the Kessler horns. They're a little spendy for my budget, but I am considering trying a regular brass Kessler neck on my red brass alto. Just heard from Dave that they do have them in stock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mlscnr said:
And the gurgle goes away with my rubber Yani 7, too. Interesting that we both ended up playing Yani mpcs. I guess they just match up well with these horns.

If I remember right, Dave had posted that the Yani necks played great on the Kessler horns. They're a little spendy for my budget, but I am considering trying a regular brass Kessler neck on my red brass alto. Just heard from Dave that they do have them in stock.
If you do buy a new nack, please post here (or PM me) with your results.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mlscnr said:
Steve - was the Yani metal your main mpc on alto before you bought the Kessler?
It was. I expected to have to start the MP search again with the Kessler but for the limited playing I do on alto, the Yani metal I already had works well. Not oh-my-God-I've-found-the-perfect-MP good, but good enough.

Hell, I'm not an alto player anyway :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: Sure enough - I sell my Z - I get a call to play - Bought a Custom Red Brass Delu

thats very interesting. anyone play a yani horn and compare the difference?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Re: Sure enough - I sell my Z - I get a call to play - Bought a Custom Red Brass Delu

You can just push the mpc further in and the gurgle will go away....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts