Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have anyone heard of this brand of saxophones? I came across this brand in a local dealer in Singapore and believe this is an asian make. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
It is an asian make, most likely China, quality unknown. There are hundreds of Asian brands now! It's like the 1920s all over again, but with lesser quality instruments (for the most part), and being built by random factories, instead of known Brand Manufacturers.

I don't know what your brand option are in Singapore, or your buying intents (student sax, upgrade, pro model, has to be new, curious?), but I would suggest holding out for a sax w/a good reputation for quality.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi NissanVintageSax,

Thanks for your response, I am currently playing a Chateau intermediate model and it has been with me for the past 10 yrs so am just looking around for a pro model for upgrade which is not that expensive, hence the asian made considerations. I heard quite a lot of P Mauriat but have yet to try them as yet. In Singapore, I am not too sure there are many brands that we can try.

cheers,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Well, you obviously have internet access. Is ordering on-line an option? Then again shipping cost at an average of $350 US and higher may kill ya.

If it isn't a problem, locate every music store and talk to every pro you can find there, and just start asking lots of questions!

A P. Muriat is a serious uprgade from your current sax, and of the best made in Taiwan today, holding its own very well against Selmer Paris, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, and Keilwerth (the Big 4).

But their prices are usually in-line with Yani and Yamaha as well.

What is your budget? I have always had to buy my saxes w/a budget of under $1500, and usually even under $1000, yet all of my saxes are pro models. I've bought in music stores, private parties, and e-bay. E-bay has been my most successful source, though it does take a lot of buying and selling to eventually get what you're after.

Again, once you know the brands easily available to you, and you know what the pros there play and where/how they bought their saxes (which may be out of your price range, but don't know unless you ask!), then advice can be given much easier!

As it stands, that other brand you listed, vs the one you own, may just be a lateral move, and maybe even a downgrade!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi NissanVintageSax,

Thanks for your inputs, they are good. However, I am still keen to hear any inputs the folks here in the forum have on their experience on Supreme saxophones. This is one option for me and will be good to hear the experience of others.

cheers!

·
Registered
307 Posts
You came across it in a dealer? So have a play and see what you think? Don't get concerned over then name on it. See if you prefer it to the one you currently have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Silhouette,

I know a guy who brings in Bauhaus Walstein saxophones and Beechler mouthpieces in Singapore. They are Yanagisawa stencils, and apparently have been receiving rave reviews even here! (I recall reading one review saying that the pro model is about 95% as good as the Yani it was stenciled from, and the price was only about 1/3 of the Yani or less. You can search for them around here). Check out his website here: http://soundgrovemusic.com/saxophones/. He's pretty nice about letting people try it out to their hearts' content while considering, so you might wanna give it a shot! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes Tiberius, thanks! I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to give it a try :)

cheers!
Well, i just bought a second hand Supreme Alto Saxophone and have it seen by the dealer himself, Mr. Dennis Lim. A great instrumentalist.

He restored, retuned and calibrated my sax for a considerable amount. And what do you know, It plays well in his hands. Even compared it with the Selmer and Chateau piece in his shop and the Supreme hold her ground.

He says, the Supreme Sax i am holding is around 10 YO and build using American Technology. Body made of Silver and what do you know, he told me that i can play it side by side with a Yamaha Student series and play on top of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Well, i just bought a second hand Supreme Alto Saxophone and have it seen by the dealer himself, Mr. Dennis Lim. A great instrumentalist.

He restored, retuned and calibrated my sax for a considerable amount. And what do you know, It plays well in his hands. Even compared it with the Selmer and Chateau piece in his shop and the Supreme hold her ground.

He says, the Supreme Sax i am holding is around 10 YO and build using American Technology. Body made of Silver and what do you know, he told me that i can play it side by side with a Yamaha Student series and play on top of them.

Body made of silver?

I don’t think so, maybe silver plate but solid silver? I can’t believe it. Does it say Sterilng silver anywhere? I doubt.

For your own information 10 years ago only major brands ( Like Yanagisawa) or old French saxophones brands produced solid silver saxophones and of course if they do or did they make sure they are marked as such, in England is also compulsory to have it essayed or NO object can be legally sold as being “ solid silver”.

Have your saxophone tested by a jeweler they will quickly see that there is a micron thick layer of silver on brass not solid Silver at all!

Restored, retuned and calibrated?

Saxophones cannot be “ retuned”. They are not a piano.

At the very most a technician would be able to change the action or placing crescents to slightly (very slightly) change the pitch. If your tech didn’t do any of this he simply overhauled the sax. A 10 year old saxophone shouldn’t need a “ restoration”, and when it comes to it, probably even an overhaul. There are people out there with a 50 year old saxophone still playing on original pads.

“ for a considerable amount” .

Well it is your saxophone and it is your money.

A Silverplate unknown saxophone like this can be acquired new and " tuned” for less than the cost of an overhaul but you can certainly pay more to buy a saxophone that when you are trying to sell it, won’t return the money that you’ve spent in the overhaul.

An overhaul can easily cost in excess of $700 and I doubt that your saxophone would ever be worth more than half that price even if perfectly restored calibrated and “ reuned”

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Silhouette,

I know a guy who brings in Bauhaus Walstein saxophones and Beechler mouthpieces in Singapore. They are Yanagisawa stencils, and apparently have been receiving rave reviews even here! (I recall reading one review saying that the pro model is about 95% as good as the Yani it was stenciled from, and the price was only about 1/3 of the Yani or less. You can search for them around here). Check out his website here: http://soundgrovemusic.com/saxophones/. He's pretty nice about letting people try it out to their hearts' content while considering, so you might wanna give it a shot! :)
As far as I know, the cheaper Bauhaus Walstein saxophones are made in China and the more expensive ones in Taiwan. They may be copies of Yanagisawa saxophones, but they are not Yanagisawa stencils.

·
38,865 Posts
absolutely!

Yanagisawa, after a long history of stencils making at the beginning of their history stopped maling stencils and anything else out there is only a “ copy” (how accurate is the question).

I owned a BW phosphor bronze curved soprano which was a perfect copy of the equivalent Yanagisawa.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi NissanVintageSax,

Thanks for your response, I am currently playing a Chateau intermediate model and it has been with me for the past 10 yrs so am just looking around for a pro model for upgrade which is not that expensive, hence the asian made considerations. I heard quite a lot of P Mauriat but have yet to try them as yet. In Singapore, I am not too sure there are many brands that we can try.

cheers,
A lot of great Taiwanese horns out there - Look them up on SOTW.

·
38,865 Posts
Silhouette hasn’t been here since June and the original post was 6 years ago, I am quite sure he found something in the meantime

1 - 15 of 15 Posts