Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been discussed regarding Mark VI serial numbers .There are endless of threads about this matter and early models are usually more appreciated than late ones, tough I know that it's not 100% correct.

How about Buffet-Crampon Superdynactions? Are the early models better than the late ones? Is there a serial number range we should definetely give a chance?

Thank you.
Saxando

·
Registered
275 Posts
I asked this question in a previous thread and I received a few responses.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=56578

The reasons of the respondants all seem to make sense based on the facts and the history of Buffet-Crampon. I just wish that I had a later version of an alto and an earlier version of a tenor to perform my own comparison (See my signature).

P.S.: I meant Mark VI in the above post and not Mark IV. :)

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,665 Posts
Buffet SDA's were made with noticeable consistency. So, if you asked me, I don't think the SN's matter at all. In the case of Mark VI's and King Super 20's, however, the SN's matter as the later Super 20's were cheapened and the 6-digit 6's are said to be inferior to the 5-digit ones.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
Buffet SDA's were made with noticeable consistency. So, if you asked me, I don't think the SN's matter at all.
I don't know if I would 100% agree with that statement. I owned a 1972 SDA alto, a 1954 SDA Alto and Still currently own a 1969 SDA Bari (in addition to having 2 SA 18-20 altos.) I have seen several others come through the shop but I feel comfortable sharing a couple differences between the 1972 and 1954 alto's.

The Octave pip on the neck is drastically differently placed between the 2. The 1954 also had a Lever attached to the Thumb Octave key that partially lowered the C# pad (for the upper stack) in attempts to cover it a little and drop the pitch.

The tone of the 1954 was a bit fuller and the sound had a roundness that was rather nice. The 1972's tone was brighter and in my ears seemed a bit rigid.

Over all I preferred the 1954 over the 1972.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
There was a high level of craftsmanship in the fifties and sixties in Paris that is reflected in most of the horns from that place and era. The quality declined as time passed. Designs and machinery changed to adapt to the changing world economy and labor markets. It does not surprise me to hear that the 1950s SDA is preferred over the 1970s model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts