Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I play on both an SX90(R) and on a Keilwerth Toneking IV (which is the horn that the Superba II was stenciled from).

In my opinion, both sound and respond very similarly; the main differences are ergonomic.
The one significant sound difference that I noticed is that the alt f#, whose tonehole is smaller and higher-placed on the Toneking/Superba II than on the SX90, sounds different between the two horns. In particular, it sounds quite a bit better (i.e., matching the neighboring notes in timbre) on the SX90.

I made a post detailing the structural and ergonomic differences here.
The most noticeable of these are that:
1. The LH palm keys are not adjustable on the Superba II
2. The LH spatula does not tilt on the Superba II
3. The Superba II is missing the G# lifter mechanism
4. The bell-to-body brace of the Superba II is less substantial

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I play on both an SX90(R) and on a Keilwerth Toneking IV (which is the horn that the Superba II was stenciled from).

In my opinion, both sound and respond very similarly; the main differences are ergonomic.
The one significant sound difference that I noticed is that the alt f#, whose tonehole is smaller and higher-placed on the Toneking/Superba II than on the SX90, sounds different between the two horns. In particular, it sounds quite a bit better (i.e., matching the neighboring notes in timbre) on the SX90.

I made a post detailing the structural and ergonomic differences here.
The most noticeable of these are that:
1. The LH palm keys are not adjustable on the Superba II
2. The LH spatula does not tilt on the Superba II
3. The Superba II is missing the G# lifter mechanism
4. The bell-to-body brace of the Superba II is less substantial
Thanks for an excellent analysis. Now, what are the approximate fair market values? I have an opportunity on both an SX90 and Couf II Soprano

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
All excellent points above mmichel. 2 very important distinctions are also:

SX90 is thoroughly modern by virtue of the offset tone stacks

The upper stack is modeled after, or, is similar to the Yamaha 62 series soprano

·
Registered
846 Posts
One thing that should be noted is that in the Couf soprano line, the Superba II's all predate (1975-1978) the Suburba I’s (1979-1985). The Keilwerth Toneking soprano, of course, existed before and after this time period, and King had contracted the Tempo soprano prior to the Couf soprano contract.

In other voices, the two Couf models were apparently targeted at different market segments and coexisted, but sopranos were not made until the Superba II had been introduced, and when the Superba II line was discontinued, Keilwerth had updated their venerable Toneking, with independent palm keys. The new Couf soprano was labeled Superba I and had additional features including a Front F Key and a High F# Key, which also appeared on the Conn 90M DJH Modified (1983-1987). Keilwerth did not add these updates to the Toneking, because they thought that they degraded the sound quality, but they were available as rarely seen custom order options. In 1982, a more comfortable, adjustable, and very distinctive plastic thumb rest was added to all models. During this time Keilwerth also stenciled the Armstrong Heritage soprano and made custom orders for Schenklaars in the Netherlands.

In 1988, Peter Ponzol redesigned the Keilwerth soprano and introduced it as part of the SX90 line. This one was configured similarly to the Yamaha YSS 61 and early YSS 62’s. The SX90 soprano had a new bore design and is generally thought to have a brighter sound than earlier Tonekings. In 1993, the soprano was totally re-conceived with a removable neck, new bore and left-side tone-hole placement. This design was used until the recent single-piece soprano redesign that included the Dave Liebman models.

All of the Keilwerth models are top notch, but there is just something special in the sound of the Tonekings and their stencils, which is why I got one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I'm about to put my Superba II up for sale. I bought it new in 1976--without doubt the best soprano saxophone and I've owned most of the major brands through the decades...but always kept this one. Contact me by PM if interested

1 - 7 of 7 Posts