Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an early 70's Couf Superba I tenor and am interested in opinions on mouthpieces that work well on this horn. I currently use a JJ HR* on a 1948 King Super 20 and it is an excellent match.

Each horn brand seems to work better with certain mouthpieces - subject to personal taste, of course. I am looking for a piece that delivers a big, fat vintage sound. I shy away from the bright high-baffle pieces. I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
Well...first off, how does the JK sound in relation to your King ?

I could put words in your mouth because I have my suspicions, but am just wondering...if you use the S20 m'piece setup on the JK, what do you get ??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Coufs are great. They will work with a lot of pieces. It really depends on what you are after. I like them with Link type pieces but that is just personal taste.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts
Well...first off, how does the JK sound in relation to your King ?

I could put words in your mouth because I have my suspicions, but am just wondering...if you use the S20 m'piece setup on the JK, what do you get ??
I'm confused why are you talking about JK. Are Couf's related to JK in some way?

I had a Couf for years. I liked playing higher baffled pieces on it because their sound is so fat and big. They balance well with a high baffle piece. If you don't want to go that route I would think a EB link would be nice on that sax. Something too big and dark would be too much. That being said. I'm playing a Warburton LA metal mouthpiece right now. It's big and fat sounding but it has some power and to it. It's not at all like a high baffle piece. It's low but it has a focused sound that I think might suit the fat Couf sound perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Im sure I will get flamed for this but I think JK went down hill after he Superba. It was truly a beast and a beauty of a horn. No modern JK I have ever played comes close IMHO.

Im not saying the others are bad...just not close by a long shot to that series.

BTW: OP...give up the horn, send it to me, get a different one. It will play out of tune with every mouthpiece. :bluewink:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a black superba 1 tenor, it is a great horn but never really liked the sound of high baffle pieces on it but sounds great with a link stm or with my current piece, a klum sterling silver focustone. Big bore horns are made for larger chamber, low baffle pieces, imo.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
"Sax" Gordon Beadle sounds fantastic on his--not sure what mpc he uses.
I love me some Beadle music!

I played Couf Superbas for a long time and found high baffle pieces like Vintage Levelairs and Bergs work best with these horns imho. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
"Sax" Gordon Beadle sounds fantastic on his--not sure what mpc he uses.
RPC, if I am not mistaken.

I have an '80's Conn 94M tenor, Keilwerth stencil.
I play a Tenney Jazzmaster 7*.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. I love the Super 20 - have played nothing else since 1981. Incredible sound but difficult ergos for someone that plays only recretionally these days. Very happy with the Superba I so far. They sound a lot alike to my ear, but the Couf has a bit more of an edge to it, which I like. Not a bright edge, just a less creamy tone. Generally I seem to be able to get a pretty consistent sound on different horns. I do a lot of long tones and follow my ear.

My current JJ HR* sounds great on the Couf, but I know that certain pieces just fit certain horns - better tone, intonation, etc. Plus I want to try something new. I'm thinking of demoing a Drake - maybe the NY Jazz or the "Son of Slant". Will also likely talk to the folks at Phil-Tone.

Please keep the recommendation coming. Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sold a Superba 1 tenor once to my detriment. The night before shipping it off I thought I'll have a last minute try on it. I put on a red Runyon Custom 7 which I had not tried on it before and out came the lushest sound I had never before been able to get and with an ease that was unbelievable. Except that the buyer had sent the money that day I was almost at the point of cancelling the sale and returning his money the next morning because I had finally found to me what was the perfect sax/mpc combination which I had looked for for years. I just wish I had never sold it but it was too late and I've been sorry ever since.
So if you can get hold of a Runyon Custom to try (with or without the insertable baffle) please do so. I used a Rico Plasticover 2 reed on it. They are fantastic saxes so hang on to it. Just wish I could find another like it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jazzbeau75:

I tried my Jody Jazz Classic #8 on the Superba last night and it was a great combination. I do believe that the JJ Classic is based on the Runyon - if I remember correctly, Runyon was a bit of a mentor to Jody Espina. So, at first blush, I would have to agree with you about that pairing. I will keep my eyes out for a Runyon Custom to try, as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I bought my Couf Superba I new back in 1981. Took me through college and through many gigs. I still alternate between the Couf and an older Yamaha YTS-62. Very different tenors depending on my mood. I play a Mojo-modified Guardala Studio and it gives a huge fat sound. Not thin in any way and a great combination. Before that I used an older gold/brass Barone M2 as well as three different RPCs. The RPCs just did not mate well with it for some reason and they included two high baffle models as well as an older roll-over design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts