Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new at the saxopohone and have never really played anything seriously before. My plan is to constantly practice and sign up for lessons soon...is there anything anyone can warn me about or suggest that I try out? I can't read music and don't really know much about music theory..but..oh well : P

Please let me know if there's anything I should be warned about such as bad habits beginners tend to develop..etc..

Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,142 Posts
Just poke around SOTW. You'll find tons of useful information. I'd say another great thing to do, that you mentioned, is get a teacher. You'll make better progress and be less likely to develop bad habits along the way. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A big welcome to SOTW and to sax playing! I'm no pro so I'll leave it to others to give more seasoned advice except to reiterate what Eddie pointed out - SOTW is a fantastic resource for learning the sax and there's loads of good information for beginners and improvers. Have fun with your alto!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Many, if not most, of us couldn't read music or knew anything about music theory before taking up the sax.

Best advice I can give, aside from getting that instructor, is to spend more time playing/practicing your instrument than you do reading about it. staying on-line and researching new info and techniques while spending less and less time practicing is an easy temptation to give in to. I speak from experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Mike Letus said:
Best advice I can give, aside from getting that instructor, is to spend more time playing/practicing your instrument than you do reading about it. staying on-line and researching new info and techniques while spending less and less time practicing is an easy temptation to give in to.
Depending on your practising style and schedule, your neighbours might be volunteering to sponsor your internet subscription... :D

And one more word of caution (experience speaking here too) - don't indulge in GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) too soon. Don't be lured into buying that Klingon mouthpiece or those Fluffee reeds just because someone promised you heaven on earth plus a creamy velvety tone.

Now stop reading, go and wet your reed, will you. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
As a brand new player, with the background you describe, you should follow these two rules:

1. Instructor first,
2. Practice second.

Trying to do it the other way around will only hurt you in that you may develop bad habits.

Good luck, and welcome to SOTW.

Frank

·
Registered
80 Posts
I very much second (and third) fballatores advice and other good advice, and also try to stick to your equipment for 6-12 months if it is reasonable. By then you will be at a much better position to judge by yourself what is suitable for you.

But keep your sax in good repair, a small leak makes it so hard to fight the horn in the beginning. Feel free to try out different reeds though, they would not cost you an arm and a leg:)

Try to find friends that share your interest, if you are anything remotely similar to me, you will already know a lot of people that play some kind of instrument. Just ask around, you'll be surprised! Playing together is great fun and great practice.

What size of sax do you have, I play alto and am a beginner like you.

Make small targets for yourself, do not be too ambitious. Be prepared for stalling or even bad days and weeks. When going backwards stops, you grow and feel great, for a while:)

But most of all, make sure it is fun! Playing saxophone is a bit like sailing, the journey is the purpose, not reaching port. Therefore play something you like, or go watch YouTube for inspiration. You might rediscover a lot of great "old" music. Enjoy.

SOTW is also a great place, use the Gary-button (also known as the search button) will bring up tons of good advice. Just do not forget to play once in awhile.

Welcome and good luck!
OsloSax

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
If you stick to what you say, you'll be a very good player. Feel free to ask and participate in questions on the SOTW. I have learned so much here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts