Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nicely done,
where did you find the original sheet music for that?

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Hey, cool concept, but you might want to check the melody and harmonies. Some notes were off, and the changes didn't agree with the ones that were right, or the original.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm inclined to disagree. Changes are hip and I enjoyed your take on the melody joel. The whole song makes me picture mario strollin' down the street all casual-like, decked out in some cool-guy sunglasses :walk: lol.

Speaking of this -anybody hear the version by Ulu? http://www.myspace.com/ulujazz Good stuff!

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
I'm not one to argue, but I do just want to clear up the obvious misunderstanding. I'm not saying that it's not cool to change it up and do your own rendition - just the contrary, I am pretty well known by my colleagues for reharmonizing alot. What I will contend, however, is that if you are going to reharmonize something, it still has to work. The melody and changes should not disagree so drastically, unless you're deliberately going for a dissonant and cacophonous sound, which I do not think is the case here. In any event, I just feel like reharmonizations should be more interesting or intriguing than the original in some way. I just happen to find the original Nintendo version more interesting and complex both melodically and harmonically.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I liked certain things and didn't like some things.

Liked mostly at the beginning, the general feel.

Not a huge fan of jumping down the octave there, but it's not a big deal. The big breaker is when you don't play the bridge over the right chords. Ab, Cs, D 7 at the end and such. I did like the speed up.

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone send me the Super Mario Bros. Theme Jazz Ver.?
I would greatly appreciate it ^-^
crzorangefrik [at] yahoo [dot] com

Edit: Oh lol sorry ><. Changed the e-mail. Hope to get it ^-^

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kaaito said:
Can someone send me the Super Mario Bros. Theme Jazz Ver.?
I would greatly appreciate it ^-^.
crzorangefrik at yahoo dot com
You would be advised to avoid posting a full email address. Try the format I replaced your email with above ^^

·
Registered
375 Posts
I really like your take on this. What a wonderfully melodic solo!

Heh... I once started noodling on Super Mario Bros. for kicks while the combo was on a break. Not two minutes later, everyone joined in and we kept playing it--no sheet music, and who knows what changes the rhythm section was playing--but it was a whole lot of fun.

Is that your own transcription? If it is... are you willing to share it? :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
I liked it !!!

Brought a big smile to my face because I used to sit around playing that silly game for hours.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We did this for fun my first year at Berklee. We weren't really too concerned with making it a full on jazz reharm, it was more about sounding loungy then seeing how many altered scales we could fit in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts