Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of these guys, but the ligature it came with is one of those "leather-ish" ones.... and it is EXTREMELY tight with a standard vandoren reed, I mean i have to fight with it for 3 minutes to even get the reed on the mouthpiece - and forget about fine adjustments. Can anyone recommend a good replacement ligature for this mouthpiece? (Also, is it true that a metal ligature is better for a very very bright sound?)

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
268 Posts
daviddoria said:
(Also, is it true that a metal ligature is better for a very very bright sound?)
I've never noticed much of a difference in sound changing from ligature to ligature, myself. I used a metal one for a long time through school, and now I have this one (below) and I use it because I think it looks cool. :]

Hopefully someone can suggest a ligature for you, I don't know enough about them to suggest a good one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i find Charles Bay and francouis louis ultimate ligs are the best on the market,
i find leather rovner style ligs really dull the sound after having played on these.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Giles said:
The Selmer lig for Metal Alto Mpcs is what I use on my SK. Works great.
Yeah, the Selmer 402 is great on the Guardalas; Brecker used it and Guardala, (from what I've been told), recommended them........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
I use several different Rovners on my Guardalas, but the best one is the new EVO-5, E-2M for tenor/alto metal. I just got a Super King the other day because Music 123 put them on sale:) and that ligature really stinks. Maybe it's some Chinese copy of a Rovner. The big surprise - the Super King Laser-Trimmed is an exact replica of my original hand-finished one, and blows great. I no longer live in fear of something happening to my mouthpiece. BTW, there should be no need to try to make this piece brighter, but if you need to I would recommend the Lebayle 'Fusion' single-screw gold-plated ligature with nylon 'bumpers' for contact points. They are definitely brighter than any Rovner, but really, you shouldn't need it on a SK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts