Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
I saw one last A week ago on a gig. The Bari player that I was working with had one and he played a few riffs on it for me. I wanted him to play it on the set but he went with his vintage Brilhart Level Air. He was using a Legere reed and he thought it was too bright of a sound for what we were doing. The Super Jet is all together different than the Jet, it's a baritone version of the tenor Super Jet.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I'd love to get a chance on one of these in a .130 to try with my funk band. I think it would be too bright for me in a smaller tip. However, I'm saving my pennies up for the Phil-Tone bari piece when it comes along.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love to get a chance on one of these in a .130 to try with my funk band. I think it would be too bright for me in a smaller tip. However, I'm saving my pennies up for the Phil-Tone bari piece when it comes along.
You want a .130 to play a 1.5 Plasticover on?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
You want a .130 to play a 1.5 Plasticover on?
Nah, I've been playing 3S and 3M Rico/ d'Addario Jazz Selects on my JJDV 8 which is a .120. I'd probably play a 2M, 2H, or 3S on a .130 with that high a baffle. After playing your JJ Jet I've been thinking about getting one of those in a .130 to fool around with a bit. I'd prefer to find one lightly used but Tim gave me a pretty good price on a new one if I want to put in an order. I figure the Super Jet has a higher or longer baffle or both, and possibly a smaller chamber as well, so I think it would be fun to try. However, I can't justify the cost of a new one since it's not really my preferred sound. I much prefer a thicker darker sound on bari but these high baffle pieces respond quick and cut well in a funk band horn section as well as producing the somewhat buzzy type of sound that people expect in that context so they make a good tool for that job which I find myself doing on a regular basis.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, I've been playing 3S and 3M Rico/ d'Addario Jazz Selects on my JJDV 8 which is a .120. I'd probably play a 2M, 2H, or 3S on a .130 with that high a baffle. After playing your JJ Jet I've been thinking about getting one of those in a .130 to fool around with a bit. I'd prefer to find one lightly used but Tim gave me a pretty good price on a new one if I want to put in an order. I figure the Super Jet has a higher or longer baffle or both, and possibly a smaller chamber as well, so I think it would be fun to try. However, I can't justify the cost of a new one since it's not really my preferred sound. I much prefer a thicker darker sound on bari but these high baffle pieces respond quick and cut well in a funk band horn section as well as producing the somewhat buzzy type of sound that people expect in that context so they make a good tool for that job which I find myself doing on a regular basis.
Referring to Doc Kupka who at one time at least played a 130/0 Berg with 1.5 Plasticovers.

I believe that, as vbluesman said, it's a brighter mouthpiece than the Jet, but what I saw in the tenor video looked very close to my Jet. He gets a pretty convincing subtone out of it too. Probably the baffle is similar and it has a smaller chamber, just guessing.

If it is brighter, I can't use it. The Jet I can use but might have liked it better in 130.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Referring to Doc Kupka who at one time at least played a 130/0 Berg with 1.5 Plasticovers.

I believe that, as vbluesman said, it's a brighter mouthpiece than the Jet, but what I saw in the tenor video looked very close to my Jet. He gets a pretty convincing subtone out of it too. Probably the baffle is similar and it has a smaller chamber, just guessing.

If it is brighter, I can't use it. The Jet I can use but might have liked it better in 130.
Yeah, I'm not sure how it fits for me either. Right now I'm pretty happy with my JJDV setup as it works fine for funk and I can use it for big band and jazz combo as well if I want. I suspect for me the Jet and/or Super Jet would be relegated to funk and R&B use only.

I'd like to get a nice Berg to try as well. Only tried one of those on bari for a few minutes several years ago and it wasn't a good one. I'd also like to do another comparison video since so many folks seemed to like the first one. I have a couple of Drakes and a few other bari pieces I didn't include in the first video but I'd like to get a metal and HR Berg, TW Durga 3, JJ Super Jet, an open tipped RPC with a baffle, and maybe the Phil-Tone bari piece Phil has been hinting at. Of course I don't have the $$$ to buy them all new and they don't come up used very often so it won't be happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
866 Posts
A different baritone player in the same band I play in bought one of these a few weeks ago. It's certainly loud, very bright and the pitch is squirelly. I wish he'd go back to the HR Link that's still n his case. He's determined to make this thing work, ugh. I've worked with someone on a plastic Jet, that's a nice mpc for baritone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A different baritone player in the same band I play in bought one of these a few weeks ago. It's certainly loud, very bright and the pitch is squirelly. I wish he'd go back to the HR Link that's still n his case. He's determined to make this thing work, ugh. I've worked with someone on a plastic Jet, that's a nice mpc for baritone.
I can only confirm. The regular Jet on baritone is a very nice all-round piece, once you control it. I can go from soft and warm to loud and screechy. I have no need to make it louder/brighter. That would be too much for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts