Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some of those intonation tendencies may be off- I did it quickly and may have written some down in the wrong column. Also I was probably not using a consistent voicing, although overall I was trying to keep my tongue position pretty high.

I'm certain that the neck and mouthpiece are original. The mouthpiece is has a B stamped on the side, which indicates that it is a bass mouthpiece. The neck fits well and the finish matches the body, so if it's not original, it's at least been with the horn long enough to have the same amount of grunge and age discoloration on the matte silver.

The key heights are for the most part pretty high- it looks proportional to my Big B baritone, which plays quite in tune. I have two Rico reeds, one of which sounds darker/quieter than the other, but overall I'd say it doesn't sound too stuffy. It responds easily and there aren't any significant response issues (besides the ones that I understand are endemic to basses) to make me think it needs adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just been sitting in the storage room since they bought it new, with people trying it every few years, finding it too flat to use, and putting it back in the case.

I'll see if I can track down an electric blanket before I start in with the mouthpiece hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi.
I have a Buescher bass 1923. I have the same problem. Play flat!!
I want purchase a Gloger neck.
The Gloger is more short than original neck? The intonation is more good?
I want purchase also a zinner bass mouthpiece.

Maurizio

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I'll see if I can track down an electric blanket before I start in with the mouthpiece hunting.
I was actually joking about the electric blanket, but hey, if it works....

I do recommend removing the plug from the wall before you begin playing. :whistle:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a 1923 Buescher and it generally plays ok in tune with a bass or baritone mouthpiece. The low B is a trifle flatter than the Bb as expected. The normal F# is a little flat but that can be fixed with adding the Eb key, lipping it up, or the alternate key. Middle D is acceptable and does not need a side key. Perhaps a repairman should take a look at it. Good luck!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts