Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering there horns to bring me up a notch over my yts-52, as i have been borrowing a VI but want to own a pro vintage to hold me over until I can afford a VI or super 20, or maybe even end up staying with one of these. I play mainly jazz and funk in a combo setting and a little big band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Or even a V1 !!, the aristocrat line were a superb line of horns from the 30's to 1963 thou the 157 model was not as good as the previous 157 model
Dave

·
1,404 Posts
There are lots of Buescher-philes around here and while I haven't played any nice Buescher altos, I have played a YAS-52 and currently play an SDA alto and the SDA is a pretty awesome horn. It is a lot like a Selmer but with a bigger bore so it has a warmer middle and fatter bottom, but slightly smaller sound in the high end. I really like the ergos and feel of the SDA, and the response is great. Very free-blowing with good intonation.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,195 Posts
Dave dix said:
Or even a V1 !!, the aristocrat line were a superb line of horns from the 30's to 1963 thou the 157 model was not as good as the previous 157 model
Dave
Thanks Dave! Nice catch. I can't believe I called the VI a IV, but it isn't the first time. I edited it so I don't look like an idiot to subsequent readers.

bfoster, I'm pretty sure the original poster here is referring to tenors (yts). Altos are another thing altogether, imo.

I have to admit, I still haven't made a final decision between my Aristocrat tenor and MKVI tenor. Maybe I never will, which means I'll just have to alternate. But I doubt very much I would pay the extra $$ for a VI nowadays (I bought mine years ago).

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I've played both Buescher 'crats and Buffets SDAs. Both will get the job done in fine fashion. For my money, the keeper is the SDA. It's a much more solid built sax and the tone is fuller over a 'crat.

Best advise is to try yourself.

·
1,404 Posts
For some reason I read "alto" the first time through.

As you can see from my signature, I play SDA on both alto and tenor. I'm a big fan of the SDA alto with a stock neck but I didn't fall in love with the SDA tenor until I got a Barone neck. Now I would not trade it for any Buescher.

I've played a TH&C tenor and a cheap Silvertone Buescher stencil, and I'd put a stock SDA tenor pretty close to, if not better than, a TH&C--though they have significant differences. The Silvertone is not even worthy of the comparison.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts