Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI, I made this 18" leak light last year. It's a typical low power 12V LED system. It consumes ~10watts. By using a spiral configuration I was able to pack about 40% more LEDs compared to my first 3 strips design (already quite bright). This design is much brighter, has better 360deg light, and is I think more elegant. It puts out about 1200 Lumens. On a per inch basis, that's about 1.5X a standard 48" flourescent light (USA). You don't need to dim the lights...

... It also serves as a saxophone warmer... and as a saxophone swab if you wrap some silk around it.

Components I used:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Maker/Product . . . . Price . . . . . . Seller
8mm Strip LED, 5M, 600LEDs,
12V adaptor, dimmer switch . . . . . . . . . . Ustellar . . . . . . $15.99 . . . . Amazon.com
1/2” acrylic tube, 4ft, (5/8” O.D.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $7.50 . . . . Amazon.com
Tube end caps (1/2 wood plugs, 50ct) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.50 . . . . Home Depot
Optional On/Off switch, 2 pack . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.00 . . . . Amazon.com

That's enough material to make multiple lights (e.g., different lengths) plus make a backlight for your TV (very pleasant on the eyes).

Cheers

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
That's sure to put the sparkle back into your Dynaction. And it's hopefully less shocking than B Flat's leak light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good timing. I need to make one of these.

Got a link to the acrylic tube? I'm finding 3ft sections for $14 but not a 4ft for $7.50.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How hot does it get? Can it be used for extended periods of time without overheating?
It gets warm, but not more than a fluorescent light. A non-issue. At first I turned it on and off regularly not knowing how much it might heat up. Then less so. Now I don't worry about it. It gets warm then stabilizes. After a year, I'm still extremely satisfied with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Looks interesting
And I am sure it’s a lot safer than the leak light that gave me a wake up call.
Ideally I’d like to pack that much brightness into a flexible light that can be inserted through the low C tone hole of a baritone.
Perhaps the single globe option would be better for me in this regard.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Maybe if you stick inside the sax after a practice session it could be used to dry out the inside. Just a thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
I like the plugins Carolus. Supplies seem to come with more than enough to make several options. The plug setups make change easy.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Far too much light for me. A heap of unnecessary light would leak out of all the open tone holes and defeat the purpose of a darkened room.
Strip lights look pretty, but I consider a point light source to do the job better - and cheaper.
Each to his own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where point source light is preferred, one could make additional shorter lights. Just plug-in the one you prefer for the job. Also, one can use the dimmer according to preference. But I didn't find it useful for the leak light. I used it instead to set the TV backlight brightness just right. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be clear, it's not 1200 lumens per inch. It's 1200 lumens for the whole 18" light. Also, it's only a low voltage 10watt system, and for reference, it takes ~10 min to bring a cool saxophone to "playing" temperature (e.g., 70deg F to 80deg?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts