Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FYI, I made this 18" leak light last year. It's a typical low power 12V LED system. It consumes ~10watts. By using a spiral configuration I was able to pack about 40% more LEDs compared to my first 3 strips design (already quite bright). This design is much brighter, has better 360deg light, and is I think more elegant. It puts out about 1200 Lumens. On a per inch basis, that's about 1.5X a standard 48" flourescent light (USA). You don't need to dim the lights...

... It also serves as a saxophone warmer... and as a saxophone swab if you wrap some silk around it.

Components I used:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Maker/Product . . . . Price . . . . . . Seller
8mm Strip LED, 5M, 600LEDs,
12V adaptor, dimmer switch . . . . . . . . . . Ustellar . . . . . . $15.99 . . . . Amazon.com
1/2” acrylic tube, 4ft, (5/8” O.D.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $7.50 . . . . Amazon.com
Tube end caps (1/2 wood plugs, 50ct) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.50 . . . . Home Depot
Optional On/Off switch, 2 pack . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.00 . . . . Amazon.com

That's enough material to make multiple lights (e.g., different lengths) plus make a backlight for your TV (very pleasant on the eyes).

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
That's sure to put the sparkle back into your Dynaction. And it's hopefully less shocking than B Flat's leak light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good timing. I need to make one of these.

Got a link to the acrylic tube? I'm finding 3ft sections for $14 but not a 4ft for $7.50.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How hot does it get? Can it be used for extended periods of time without overheating?
It gets warm, but not more than a fluorescent light. A non-issue. At first I turned it on and off regularly not knowing how much it might heat up. Then less so. Now I don't worry about it. It gets warm then stabilizes. After a year, I'm still extremely satisfied with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,382 Posts
Looks interesting
And I am sure it’s a lot safer than the leak light that gave me a wake up call.
Ideally I’d like to pack that much brightness into a flexible light that can be inserted through the low C tone hole of a baritone.
Perhaps the single globe option would be better for me in this regard.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,237 Posts
Maybe if you stick inside the sax after a practice session it could be used to dry out the inside. Just a thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,486 Posts
I like the plugins Carolus. Supplies seem to come with more than enough to make several options. The plug setups make change easy.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Far too much light for me. A heap of unnecessary light would leak out of all the open tone holes and defeat the purpose of a darkened room.
Strip lights look pretty, but I consider a point light source to do the job better - and cheaper.
Each to his own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where point source light is preferred, one could make additional shorter lights. Just plug-in the one you prefer for the job. Also, one can use the dimmer according to preference. But I didn't find it useful for the leak light. I used it instead to set the TV backlight brightness just right. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be clear, it's not 1200 lumens per inch. It's 1200 lumens for the whole 18" light. Also, it's only a low voltage 10watt system, and for reference, it takes ~10 min to bring a cool saxophone to "playing" temperature (e.g., 70deg F to 80deg?).

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
148 Posts
FYI, I made this 18" leak light last year. It's a typical low power 12V LED system. It consumes ~10watts. By using a spiral configuration I was able to pack about 40% more LEDs compared to my first 3 strips design (already quite bright). This design is much brighter, has better 360deg light, and is I think more elegant. It puts out about 1200 Lumens. On a per inch basis, that's about 1.5X a standard 48" flourescent light (USA). You don't need to dim the lights...

... It also serves as a saxophone warmer... and as a saxophone swab if you wrap some silk around it.

Components I used:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Maker/Product . . . . Price . . . . . . Seller
8mm Strip LED, 5M, 600LEDs,
12V adaptor, dimmer switch . . . . . . . . . . Ustellar . . . . . . $15.99 . . . . Amazon.com
1/2” acrylic tube, 4ft, (5/8” O.D.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $7.50 . . . . Amazon.com
Tube end caps (1/2 wood plugs, 50ct) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $3.50 . . . . Home Depot
Optional On/Off switch, 2 pack . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.00 . . . . Amazon.com

That's enough material to make multiple lights (e.g., different lengths) plus make a backlight for your TV (very pleasant on the eyes).

Cheers
Hi,

Just came across this post, love the light. Did you wrap the LEDs around anything before inserting them in the tube, or simply spiral them as you fed them in?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Indeed, lighting is an important part and we must take care of this aspect. For example, since I have children I have decided to buy led night because it offers safety to both them and us as parents because often at night we have to bring something for the children from the kitchen or make sure everything is fine. What amazed me about these light nights is that it has the function of self-adjusting depending on the brightness of the rooms so I don't have to turn it on or off because it does its job on its own.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,781 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts