Danny Moore (tp, flugelhorn)
Mario Rivera (bar)
Harold Mabern (p)
Lisle Atkinson (b)
Idris Muhammed (dr)
Azzedin Weston (perc) track B1

·
Registered
tenor most of the time, occasionally alto, and rarely clarinet and flute. Soprano stays rested
207 Posts
Thanks for uploading. Just had listened to part if it. I got untrigued by the title of album.
In January 2009 I have met New York based saxophonist Bill Saxton on board Norwegian Gem. He was accompanied by Radomir Shwartz on organ and drummer whose name I cannot recall. One of the pieces they played was Big George. After their concert (charter group hired them as private entertainment for a cruise) he told me that you wouldn't find it in any real books and he knows it 'cause it has been played a lot back in the day by New York guys. Very cool tune, I used to remember the structure and harmony of it, but now I have this recording.

Отправлено с моего POCO F1 через Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I saw George this past summer at the jazz fest here in Rochester. I was concerned when he made his entrance as he needed assistance. Well, his playing didn't show any sign of deterioration, he was burnin'. It's hard to believe he's 84 years old. The late Harold Mabern was in accompaniment on piano. I'm so glad I got to see him, he was extraordinary as well. Friends that saw them at the second show said they played for an hour and forty-five minutes with no break and Mabern had to beg George to shut it down! Long live George Coleman!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts