Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So i was going through some forum posts and was just wondering what the overall difference is between the regular Super 20 and the silversonic version other than the obvious, that the silversonic is made with silver. Playing wise what are the differences?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have owned both.......from the same period, late forties...silver necks.....and there was no difference....not for me anyway....

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
That would not surprise me....the bell is the showiest part, but I really would expect the body and neck to be the biggest difference makers when completely different metals are used.

I was not fixated on a Silversonic when I was looking for a S20. Equal condition and a grand more I would have gone for it, just for having it, but for a "player" I really did not care. Turns out I lucked into a great one owner S20, and I won't be looking for a Silversonic. Not saying they are not cool, they are!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have both a Silver Sonic and a silver neck FP S20. They sound a little different from each other, to me the Silver Sonic has a more pristine tone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 300xxx S 20 and a 400xxx Silversonic:
The older S-20 plays with little or no resistance. The receiver is a a little larger in diameter. The tone is deeper, darker with nice overtones at the low end. It's easier at the low end with a large chamber mpc but I found
if I manage my breath control the low end can purr with a smaller chamber piece. Berg105 0 M

SilverSonic: Brighter a little more resistance and my personal preference for tone. In my case looking for a little more edge (70s and 80s jazz rock blues fusion) They are both grat horns and my guess is the difference has more to due with the decade that seperate them (1949 -1960) Dave Guardala King

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
I have a 300xxx S 20 and a 400xxx Silversonic:
The older S-20 plays with little or no resistance. The receiver is a a little larger in diameter. The tone is deeper, darker with nice overtones at the low end. It's easier at the low end with a large chamber mpc but I found
if I manage my breath control the low end can purr with a smaller chamber piece. Berg105 0 M

SilverSonic: Brighter a little more resistance and my personal preference for tone. In my case looking for a little more edge (70s and 80s jazz rock blues fusion) They are both grat horns and my guess is the difference has more to due with the decade that seperate them (1949 -1960) Dave Guardala King

Are the setups the same. Same pads and resonators?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi-
The 300xxx S-20 has new white Roos and over sized resotech polished nickel domed resonators.
The Silversonic has standard kid pads and all the resonators look like standard selmer brown plastic domed except low C which has the original metal flat disk.

I play either a Berg 105 0 M or a Wanne Datta on the S- 20
I play an original Guardala King on the Silversonic

I am using Fibracell #3 Premiers on both.

Initially I was having some gurgle on low B with the S-20. Open chamber mpc's seemed to help (Barone HR Trad/Contemp) but the tone was too vintage for what I'm trying to do. To get rid of the gurgle with narrower chamber mpc's I (on advice from my tech) dropped a couple wine corks in the bell and that helped. Over time by practicing long tones down low I've gotten rid of the gurgle. Just needed to get used to it after playing a Selmer Series II and Mark VI for a long time. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts