Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mouth pieces are you guys using with your Super 20 tenors?

I switched from a Berg Larson 105/1 to an Otto Link STM #8 about 15 years ago when it started playing again. I don’t play as much as I used to and am considering moving to a rubber mouthpiece and a smaller tip opening.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have about 6 tenor mouthpieces but one I like a lot that could be right for you would be the hard rubber Vandoren V16. It's relatively inexpensive too. It's big and fat on the Super 20.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use both a Mouthpiece Café Slant and a Robusto on my Super 20, depending on what tone I want. I also switch reeds between a Forestone Hinoki and a Black Bamboo. My horn has black Roos and domed resonators and leans to a bright sound. The Slant, Robusto, Hinoki, Black Bamboo combinations lighten and darken it up some. I really like switching it up. It also affects volume, and my practice space is small, but the electric guitars at band practice are, well, electric guitars...…...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been using a Peter Ponzol, brass 110 / M2 for a long time with my Super 20 tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,531 Posts
I was using Lamberson J7, L7, and Phil-Tone Intrepid 7* on my 320xxx Super 20. The Intrepid was most effective at fattening the palm keys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,118 Posts
I’ll say go with pretty much anything that works well for you on other saxes.

S20’s aren’t much different than all those other, inferior saxophones...

I’m using a Jody Jazz DV mostly. It’s got a bit more edge than the STM.

Edit: The JJDV also works well on "other" saxophones...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,077 Posts
Not sure how S20’s are supposedly inferior.
But for me I like a link STM EB on mine or for something a little darker the Drake Reso piece works well.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,211 Posts
I figured he was referring to anything that wasn’t a VI or SBA...
Oh yeah, I think you're right. I get it now. He was using the term 'inferior' in a sarcastic way.

I'm the one who should read more carefully! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,118 Posts
Oh yeah, I think you're right. I get it now. He was using the term 'inferior' in a sarcastic way.

I'm the one who should read more carefully! :)
Nope. You nailed it the first time. There are instruments that some folks confuse with saxophones and then there are S20’s...

I thought that should be obvious on a saxophone (S20) web site, but’s should have known better. Anyone who doesn’t get this is obviously wrong, misled by fake news, or simply an internet troll.

Because I said so it must be true.

Sheesh.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,488 Posts
I am really puzzled about claims that any given horn would be fit to be used (only or better with) any mouthpiece, since the horn and its neck are only two components of a system which includes other variables, the mind of the player (because it is there that the sound concept is formed), the oral cavity, teeth, jaws and lips (highly individual), anyone of hundreds of brands and types of reeds.

So, yes, pretty much what works for you. I think that the combinations and permutations are infinite

What worked for me were Ponzol M1 115 ( If I remember well) and Brancher J27. Both, high baffled mouthpieces , supposedly bright but I don’t feel that way, with me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The original poster whom is a casual player is asking for a mouthpiece recommendation that's comfortable and easy to play. He's fortunate to own a Super 20 which happens to be the greatest jazz tenor that has ever been made. I'll stand by my recommendation of a rubber V16 and I'll add the Vandoren Java for a little more pop. A casual player doesn't need a $500.00 mouthpiece, Vandoren is the best value for a new mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
What mouth pieces are you guys using with your Super 20 tenors?

I switched from a Berg Larson 105/1 to an Otto Link STM #8 about 15 years ago when it started playing again. I don’t play as much as I used to and am considering moving to a rubber mouthpiece and a smaller tip opening.
There’s no such thing as an optimal mouthpiece for a specific type of horn, any piece has the potential to work. You’re going to have to try different pieces but all your favorite sounds were made on Links, there’s no way around that. Phil Barone

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay... thanks for all the input folks. I decided to give the VanDoren V16 a try and picked up a T8 yesterday.

Finding valid information on the web regarding the tip openings has been difficult as several of the charts contradict each other; also with the European manufacturers specs being in mm vs inch.. it's been a little challenging. The best I can tell the T8 translates to a .110 tip opening. :-/ I'm considering exchanging it for a T9.... will ponder that today while I'm supposed to be working. ;-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,531 Posts
Okay... thanks for all the input folks. I decided to give the VanDoren V16 a try and picked up a T8 yesterday.

Finding valid information on the web regarding the tip openings has been difficult as several of the charts contradict each other; also with the European manufacturers specs being in mm vs inch.. it's been a little challenging. The best I can tell the T8 translates to a .110 tip opening. :-/ I'm considering exchanging it for a T9.... will ponder that today while I'm supposed to be working. ;-)
A .110” tip is plenty open - no need to go further.

Just my not-so-humble opinion (having owned, played, performed on a Super 20 tenor with a 17 piece big band)... Unless you really spend a lot of time on the horn, there’s a good chance that you will start having less control of pitch and tone if you keep going larger in tip size. Work with the .110, and only go up if you find that you are truly hitting the limits of the .110 (and I’m betting that you won’t).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts