Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

Does anyone know the standard specs for the King Super 20 Silversonic Tenor (late 70s serial)? Including key opening size?
I got a great deal on a Super 20 however it's heavily modded (perhaps to fix intonation?). I'm looking to open it up and get the resonators taken off.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ask Saxquest.com. That's where I got my super 20 alto from, with an overhaul, and the intonation on it is great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask Saxquest.com. That's where I got my super 20 alto from, with an overhaul, and the intonation on it is great!
Thanks, i'll flick them a message now. Will leave thread open in case anyone has the answers ;^)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd appreciate if you could post answers if you find them because I have two Eastlake S20 tenors setup differently and I'd like to know which one is closer to being correct (I know which one I prefer to play but that may or may not be due to setup).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd appreciate if you could post answers if you find them because I have two Eastlake S20 tenors setup differently and I'd like to know which one is closer to being correct (I know which one I prefer to play but that may or may not be due to setup).
Sure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark Overton from Saxquest couldn't give me precise measurements, however he did say that King Super 20's typically play best with a "fairly open key height."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,198 Posts
:I'm looking to open it up and get the resonators taken off.
Taking off the resonators will make your sax sound softer and rounder. But it won't have any appreciable affect on intonation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking off the resonators will make your sax sound softer and rounder. But it won't have any appreciable affect on intonation.
Resonators essentially shorten the distance between key and hole. As I understand it, wouldn't they also flatten the pitch as they "close off" the sound - like only partially opening the keys? It might be helpful to note that the resonator mods have been added on top of the factory resonators, and i'm hoping to more-or-less restore the sax to it's vanilla, factory condition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Resonators on top of resonators...sounds like a super twenty Big Mac
Show us what they have done to this poor horn.
Haha I could go on... The previous owner was as close as you can get to a literal mad scientist. I believe he made the bell and neck solid silver. I think it's fair to say there's no other Super 20 like mine. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.. ;^)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Than contact Aaron @ barnardrepair.com...I've contacted him via telephone a couple of times before. He's very helpful/friendly/knowledgeable. I'm sure he can help u out. I'm sure he know's about King's. Let us know how it goes. I know that King's are more finicky than others, but once you get them locked in, setup wise, they don't budge...also if you have resonator upon resonator, that can't be good,lol. Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,080 Posts
I never trust the printed lists for key openings as every horn needs to be set up to play well AND be in tune. I find Martins like close openings, Conns more open......

·
7,198 Posts
…It might be helpful to note that the resonator mods have been added on top of the factory resonators, and i'm hoping to more-or-less restore the sax to it's vanilla, factory condition.
Oh. In that case, you should remove the second set of resonators. They could indeed be affecting the intonation… even when the pads are closed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh. In that case, you should remove the second set of resonators. They could indeed be affecting the intonation… even when the pads are closed.
Yeah that was the reason for this thread! My repairman wanted to know what the key openings should be.

·
7,198 Posts
I can measure my S20 alto if you still need this information. It plays great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,243 Posts
Hi all!

Does anyone know the standard specs for the King Super 20 Silversonic (late 70s serial)? Including key opening size?
I got a great deal on a Super 20 however it's heavily modded (perhaps to fix intonation?). I'm looking to open it up and get the resonators taken off.
You never mention whether it's alto, tenor, or other.

Regardless of voice, I'm curious to see pictures of the resos, neck, and bell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You never mention whether it's alto, tenor, or other.

Regardless of voice, I'm curious to see pictures of the resos, neck, and bell.
You're right. It is a tenor. I'll post pics in the same board once I get the horn back from my repairman!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,243 Posts
You're right. It is a tenor. I'll post pics in the same board once I get the horn back from my repairman!
Then why, oh why, would you ask someone (soybean) for key heights of an alto?

Let us know if you don't come up with the answers you need. (PM me, please, if I'm not tracking this thread) I have a Super 20 tenor overhauled by Aaron Barnard.

Oh yes...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts