Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since S20 series II are definitely out of my budget, I'm oriented to the more affordable series V
(with still underslung octave key, single socket brass neck and "Super 20" engraving)

Sure, I know that the V is more affordable because they are not the best, but how much "less" do they have in terms of sound?
If I would take one, I will have some reminiscent of the "real" S20 golden era sound?
(Speaking about ALTO saxophones)
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since S20 series II are definitely out of my budget, I'm oriented to the more affordable series V
(with still underslung octave key, single socket brass neck and "Super 20" engraving)

Sure, I know that the V is more affordable because they are not the best, but how much "less" do they have in terms of sound?
If I would take one, I will have some reminiscent of the "real" S20 golden era sound?
(Speaking about ALTO saxophones)
Thanks
You may want to consider a 1950's King Zephyr instead; nearly identical sound at a lower price point.

Are you shopping for an alto or tenor?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
The Eastlakes are great, I recently played on a Eastlake alto which was stunning . I still prefer the ergonomics (and looks) of the S 20 but indeed the Zephyrs are nice too. Should you want a tenor I have one for sale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Zephs are a good alternative but yeah, then you go back to teh traditional pinky table ergos...which is OK because it's a pretty darn good pinky table, but it isn't an S20 table (although then again some folks don't love the S20 tables (there were a few iterations) ).

I can tell you this: in TENORS, the neck specifications of the Eatlakes CHANGED from the Cleveland S20's...resulting in a slightly brighter, less dark and spread tone. Still a great sound, but not a Cleve S20 tone. But it still uniquely S20 in tone and blowing response, and in the absence of side-by-side, one would never know really.

I do NOT know whether the neck specs ever changed on their Altos. I have never had an opportunity to measure those up, as I have the Tenors.

But regardless, if not quite the SAME tone, still damn good horns and the Eastlake fabrication/construction thru the 70's lost nothing from the Cleves.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Ya I knew a guy with an early 1970s S20 tenor, and whoa that thing was tremendous. Really played rings around most late Mk Vl tenors IMO.

I don’t care for the Eastlake altos, they play well but they tend to get a bit thin and whiny compared to earlier vintage Cleveland’s for me. That’s why I play a SA80ll now. LOVE IT!... It’s a bit darker and more spread than the late S20 and late Mk Vl altos and high baffle super bright mouthpieces pair up better with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
I play an Eastlake S20 alto and I really like it. It is on the bright side but I use a Meyer NY that gets a pretty good Cannonball Adderley sort of brightness. My horn’s build quality is a notch less than the earlier horns but nothing a little handwork can’t fix. The action is quite fast by my standards and best of all...it has that King thing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
The Eastlake altos are great! I had one not so long ago and it was every bit as good as my S20 Eastlake tenor ( a sax that I will never sell)

I forgot I had written a month or so ago too :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
I don’t know if it’s a VI or a V but I play a silversonic alto from around 1973 an it’s wonderful. Just had an overhaul and it plays a little different than before so probably you can do a lot with different setup( keyheights and stuff). I also play it with a NY Meyer. Love it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I like the late Cleveland S20's (Tenor)better than the earlier models, and they seem a lot like (if not exactly) the early Eastlake ones...There were some modifications to both octave mechanism and octave key that make it both more dependable and more comfortable to me.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all replies
The good deal (at least good for me I think) for a mint Eastlake Alto has gone :cry: but I will keep an eye on those horns for future opportunities

1 - 10 of 10 Posts