Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a King Super 20 Bari sax, low Bb. I have been wanting to play a low b flat horn.as compared to the low A model I have. I have had the horn for two weeks and have played two rock band gigs with it, switching between tenor and bari. (tenor is also a super 20) I really like the sound. Usually I play a RPC 110 high baffle model mouthpiece, but also have an older (pickel barrel) mouthpiece that was opened up to 100. Though not as loud as the rpc or ponzol custom hard rubber mpc, it plays and sounds really nice. I has a vintage sound, sort of Mulligan like sound. Realy pretty. I know really pretty is not the sound you would describe for a rock band, but miked and amped the sound is there. I'm happy.

smf

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
368 Posts
I recently purchased a King Super 20 Bari sax, low Bb. I have been wanting to play a low b flat horn.as compared to the low A model I have. I have had the horn for two weeks and have played two rock band gigs with it, switching between tenor and bari. (tenor is also a super 20) I really like the sound. Usually I play a RPC 110 high baffle model mouthpiece, but also have an older (pickel barrel) mouthpiece that was opened up to 100. Though not as loud as the rpc or ponzol custom hard rubber mpc, it plays and sounds really nice. I has a vintage sound, sort of Mulligan like sound. Realy pretty. I know really pretty is not the sound you would describe for a rock band, but miked and amped the sound is there. I'm happy.

smf
Congratulations on a great bari, I have 2 early Eastlake's with serial number about 100 apart + a severely abused Cleveland that is a donor. Amazing horns !!! I couldn't pass up the 2nd Eastlake, I got it very cheap because it was minus the neck and I had a sterling neck with the Cleveland donor horn. The RPC is a good choice, Doug James used one on a Super 20 towards the end of his Roomful of Blues days. Other mouthpieces that I've had great luck with are HR Links, both stock and a couple I have that were worked on by Phil Barone. My primary bari piece is one of Phil's metal Hollywood's that I've used since 2000. The Super 20 bari as I'm sure you're finding out is amazingly flexible and you can make it fit in most any situation. Have fun with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
thats a good one for sure,my bari is the martin a 56 model!..the vintage baris are great sounding instruments..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My primary bari piece is one of Phil's metal Hollywood's that I've used since 2000. The Super 20 bari as I'm sure you're finding out is amazingly flexible and you can make it fit in most any situation.
Thanks fo the reply. I think the larger chambered mouthpieces may have more "depth - color" to their sound. The hollywood has an open chamber doesn't it? I'd like to try some others, but am not sue where to start. I have a Ponzol custom rubber and an H. Couf metal. Both very bright with high baffles.

smf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts