Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Zephyr special some time ago and the C#(left hand pinky cluster) was really hard to press down, but I remember it was just a small piece of metal which pushed down the G# as well.
Now I want to buy a Super 20 alto 285.000 which has the same style pinky cluster
I just want to know if the S20 as well has just that small metal piece which push down the G# when I press C#......because I want to remove it.....

On my 300.000 S20 tenor that wouldnt be possible because the G# mechanic rod is under the C# so there is not just a small metal piece which could be removed/.....

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
That is one of the things I noticed about my tenor when I finally got it back. The little tab on the G# had been cut off. I am thinking about having it restored. Had I noticed that before I sent it to Tenor Madness, I would have had them restore the tab.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOBODY got a 285*** Super 20 alto who can tell me if there is just a small piece of metal which push down the G# as well when pushed the C# ?
or if there is the whole G# mechanic under the C# ???

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
On the Super 20's I've owned/ worked on the C#/ B/ Bb via the G# touch was effected by a small "ledge" on the underside of the G# touch which extended out under the C# and B touches. It's a very common approach.

You could easily take off the G# touch, cut off the platform extension, and put it back on the horn without any detectable cosmetic issues.

Once removed it'd be a bit more cumbersome to restore.

I actually did this on a B&S "resoblade" tenor- figured to get every last bit of advantage out of the low mass bell cup system- and wound up reversing it since, in practice, I actually found that I really did miss the link between C#, B, Bb and G#.

I used it more than I had realized- one of those unthought of reflexes.

Properly adjusting the spring tension just so for the G# opening and closing and the C# itself can go a long way towards making things easier. The Super 20 C# can work just fine- and is generally easier to adjust to work lightly than the vintage horns with a one piece C# cup/long rod/long arm/big cup design (and the Zeph- though the earlier ones had a multi piece C# design of sorts) .

The old SML/ Beaugnier horns had a switch to allow the G# interaction to be disabled. Great, until you forget you've left it in the off position and lay an egg in the middle of a tune...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS !! I hope your S20 was around 285.000 like the alto I plan to buy ......OK now I know that the ledge is easy to remove because on my 300.000 tenor that would not be possible
the mechanic for the G# is just under the C# so I can not remove anything....

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts