Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have the song summer time?

I was going down the path of learning it by ear for an audition, but there are so many differen't versions out there I wasn't sure quite what to do. I also think I need to have a writen copy anyways.

So if anyone has a transcription of it please fire off an email to me. I play Alto.

[email protected]

thanks
Logan

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Email sent. I’m afraid it’s not the best scan ever and it’s for tenor (Bb), but as no one else seems to have responded maybe it’s better than nothing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the two links, they seem like pretty basic versions. But what can you do, I just keep learning the version I have by ear.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
russellxenia said:
Which version are you listening to?
Bill Clinton's?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
www.jazzbacks.com has a free version of Summertime backings. Any standard fakebook lead sheet pretty much works fine with it.

HERE'S where the download is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
You can try this! This brazilian version with scrolling notation. Saxophone sounds like a bee in a jar, so I suspect it is not real. It is also in a weird key. Some nice ideas in the smooth jazz style though (oh dear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7zFSzzVfQ

Perhaps you can watch my version on youtube (easy to find) I just use the aebersold book Maiden Voyage, or Vol 25.

Truth is this song is very simple, and the "head" you can work out by ear. The rest is mainly based on a blues scale. This is why you won't find very many transcripts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just bought a tenor sax. It's my first week playing a horn and I'm loving it. Your posting of my favourite tunes has made me practise for hours. Today, I've managed to play Summertime first few lines and similarly for Autumn Leaves and Have I told you lately.

Loving this forum.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've just bought a tenor sax. It's my first week playing a horn and I'm loving it. Your posting of my favourite tunes has made me practise for hours. Today, I've managed to play Summertime first few lines and similarly for Autumn Leaves and Have I told you lately.

Loving this forum.
Best damn forum on the internet. Period.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a reasonable copy of sumertime for alto which I would be happy to scan at work and email to you I have put the music in with my laptop already but would request you email me at [email protected] to remind me to do it as I tend to get a bit sidetracked with the day job and will only remember when I have left the office.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
You can try this! This brazilian version with scrolling notation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7zFSzzVfQ
Yes in Dminor, however the changes are a bit unusual.

Basic changes in this key are D minor 4 bars, G min 2 bars then Emin7b5, A7.
Whereas they go back to the D minor instead of the E-7b5.
There are no rules to say you cannot do this however.

Like Daisy said, this tune is so basic.

Can you sing it ???

If so try and pick out the notes by ear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts