Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started playing or should i say trying to learn the sax a few months ago, getting lessons 1 hr a week, had a go at an improv of summertime using band in a box in reggae style.
What do ye think? - Remember im only starting - take it easy on me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ9xVs2DK4o

Thanks for watching and listneing :space4:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
Sounds like you had some fun, and you're doing pretty well after just a few months. However, the reggae approach allows you to play almost exclusively short, punchy notes. When you do play longer ones, you use an exaggerated and (unsurprisingly after such a short time playing) uncontrolled vibrato.

It would be more challenging to play Summertime absolutely straight, and slowly. Holding those long notes with a nice solid core sound, in tune and without vibrato, is a very instructive exercise.

Yes, yet another SOTW post recommending long tones!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Sounds nice, although I have the impression your timing is a bit off. You're playing sometimes more than a bar before the changes. Don't know if you're doing it on purpose, but it sounds rather weird once in a while.

Try feeling the groove of the rythm section, reggae is a much slower groove than you expect. You're playing a nice ska on it, but it doesn't fit that well on the groove.

Best thing you can do is play the melody first as close as possible to the original. Play it calmly, pay attention to the phrasing, play a bit softer, and hold the long notes stable. If you start from there, each time you loop you change a bit more on the melody. After 10 loops, you come out with a completely different thing, but you'll feel the groove and the changes better.

+1 on the longtones.

Now, GET ON WITH IT [Impnt] For those who know Monty Python ;)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What Jolle said.

Dude, LOL, you gotta play the pickups in the right place. ;)
Having said that, everybody has a starting place. Just a few months playing? Keep it up.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Few thoughts (and I know your a beginner ;) )

1. Tone - ok, but it sounds uncontrolled to my ear. Like as though your embochure is changing and moving around all over the place which causes a considerable amount difference in tone from note to note. Work on some long tones and try to get a uniform sound.

2. Style - sounds like you have some of the basics of reggae down, but I would suggest listening to more artists to get some more feel. One of my favorites for afro cuban is Afrodysia. Came across them by accident and their verison of St. Thomas is great IMO and Paquita D'Rivera for sure. Absolutely rips on also. I have taken a few years of classes on Latin Jazz at a University (ASU) and one thing I learned that could really help you is to learn the different rhythms. All you need is to play them with your hands on your lap. I have the sheet they gave us with like 30-40 different ones. I'll can email them if you'd like.

3. Learn the lyrics to the song (if you don't know them by now). It truely helps and it sounds to me as though there are some spots where your melody doesn't sound "right" with the harmony, almost late.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I believe the best way to grow through critizism is to give tough love so you can be determined and improve more. Keep playing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts