Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Playing one of my all time favorite melodies to try out my the new beast in the stable. I think it's got an absolutely gorgeous tone, especially paired with my 10mfan Daddy-O 6. I'm seriously impressed by the way this thing plays - pretty much effortless, tuning is easy, and I am finding myself overcorrecting now that I'm on such a well tuned horn.

Here's some more eye candy:

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,605 Posts
Nice. I really like your vibrato on the head.

You sound quite a bit brighter here than you usually do on alto though. Are you using a different mic/effects or is it just your setup?

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I really like your vibrato on the head.

You sound quite a bit brighter here than you usually do on alto though. Are you using a different mic/effects or is it just your setup?
I noticed this too! Before the 10mfan piece, I pulled out my Phil Tone Isotope, which was too much for me. I was also producing crazy overtones on pretty much every note.

The difference in amount of effort to play on this vs on my Mauriat is very extreme, which may have factors here on the brightness. My Mauriat is a very dark horn, and I think this 875EXIIS is naturally pretty bright. My Mauriat has needed some pad work for quite a while too, so that may have been a contributor. Once I get my Mauriat back from the shop, I'll be doing some side by sides.

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got some feedback that my sound is very "classical" here. Wonder if anyone here concurs?

·
Registered
Selmer La Voix II alto, Martín “The Martín” tenor, Yamaha YTS-21 tenor, Altus 907 flute
97 Posts
Got some feedback that my sound is very "classical" here. Wonder if anyone here concurs?
I don’t know about classical, but the tone is rather clarinet-like. Very pretty on the whole. Btw, I like your shirt and the almost matching painting behind you!

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t know about classical, but the tone is rather clarinet-like. Very pretty on the while. Btw, I like your shirt and the almost matching painting behind you!
Thanks! Love this shirt, just got it the other day. Thinking its time to end the T-Shirt spree on my youtube :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice job young man! And I agree with Mgmarcus above (no relation LOL), your shirt, beard, and wall art makes for quite a striking tableau ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would say your sound here is "pure". Seems that this instrument gives you a lot of control, which is great. I can almost hear you focusing in and listening / controlling some notes while you play. I bet this horn is very "susceptible" to different sorts of mouthpieces, as far as changing it up to get exactly the type of tone and response you want. NOT limited to a "classical" axe by any means. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous saxophone and a great tune. I think it needs to be playing in the background of some film-noire mystery, setting the scene in a speak-easy or something...

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job young man! And I agree with Mgmarcus above (no relation LOL), your shirt, beard, and wall art makes for quite a striking tableau ;)
Thank you - wonder if any other Marcus's will chime in :). I still need to expand my wardrobe more, but I think i'm heading the right direction :)

I would say your sound here is "pure". Seems that this instrument gives you a lot of control, which is great. I can almost hear you focusing in and listening / controlling some notes while you play. I bet this horn is very "susceptible" to different sorts of mouthpieces, as far as changing it up to get exactly the type of tone and response you want. NOT limited to a "classical" axe by any means. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous saxophone and a great tune. I think it needs to be playing in the background of some film-noire mystery, setting the scene in a speak-easy or something...
Thanks Sonorous. That's what I was hearing as well. Definitely a lot different than my spread, dark Mauriat. I'm still just touching the surface and only had an hour to play on this beast so far, but I have a feeling that once I get comfortable on it, I'll be able to really change the palate of the tone I'm able to produce, while also being able to make this thing incredibly flexible tonally.

I like the idea of a film-noire or speak-easy. Funnily enough, we are building a basement bar with a speak-easy theme :D Just gotta put in a little stage and play this as the background music!

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
15,958 Posts
Jared, you sound fantastic! I love your tone here very much. I must say, that I really dig the shirt also! I always enjoy your videos so thank you for always posting these

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,890 Posts
Sounds great man, keep it up. Those EXII horns are incredible, almost like auto-pilot for ergonomics and intonation. Makes it much easier to focus on your sound development.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,268 Posts
I like it very much. I think that your sound is very nice, and it is your sound. If it is a little classical, yes maybe in what my concept of that is. But I like it.

Something that took me years to understand is that anyhow we can modify it in the shape we have in our heads, it is still us what sounds like we do and that we are the most relevant part of the whole thing, sax, mouthpiece, reed, lig... whatever else.

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jared, you sound fantastic! I love your tone here very much. I must say, that I really dig the shirt also! I always enjoy your videos so thank you for always posting these
Thanks Mark! I've got a lot of videos in the works now, far more interesting than this one :) Hope you'll get a chance to check them out!

Sounds great man, keep it up. Those EXII horns are incredible, almost like auto-pilot for ergonomics and intonation. Makes it much easier to focus on your sound development.
Much appreciated! It really is a phenomenal horn. I tried a lacquered one back in January, and thats when I began hunting for this silver plated one. I'm very pleased so far!

I like it very much. I think that your sound is very nice, and it is your sound. If it is a little classical, yes maybe in what my concept of that is. But I like it.

Something that took me years to understand is that anyhow we can modify it in the shape we have in our heads, it is still us what sounds like we do and that we are the most relevant part of the whole thing, sax, mouthpiece, reed, lig... whatever else.
Ah yeah, I can see how everyones perception of classical sound may change. I have a feeling that I could get a very old school jazz sound from this very easily. I'm going to work on my Hodges impressions

It's very much my sound, but in this specific nuance, I'm feeling a higher level of clarity and fullness in my sound, especially in the upper register. We will see how I can develop that with my own sound.

Thanks everyone, more to come soon, I think my Mauriat Alto may be done soon and I'll be able to get some awesome comparisons up!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Let me know what you guys think!
Jared, even using the formula: 10% sax, 90% MP, to my ear you got NEW 100% beautiful sound possibilities that you showed in the vid.
Wonderful horn! Enjoy!

Reactions: J-Moen

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jared, even using the formula: 10% sax, 90% MP, to my ear you got NEW 100% beautiful sound possibilities that you showed in the vid.
Wonderful horn! Enjoy!
Thanks so much Michael! I'm hoping to develop on that for sure!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,274 Posts
I think the folks saying classical mean that it’s a very clean sound...no buzziness or woody texture. At the beginning it sounds quite bright with a lot of high overtones but later when you’re spending time down low it’s got plenty of the low end: might take you a little work/ time to bring some of that full-bodied sound up into the higher range to balance it out. If it sounded thin I’d worry about it, but it does not so all is good. Regarding the clean sound and to an extent the bright, I’m sure that experimenting with various reeds you’ll find you can bring out plenty of other characteristics. I’m also on a Daddy-O 6 and loving it as I’m finally working on some actual alto stuff instead of just having a small tenor to mess around on occasionally 🤣 I’m sure my Barone alto is a lot more like your Mauriat than the Yamaha.

·
TOTM administrator
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the folks saying classical mean that it’s a very clean sound...no buzziness or woody texture. At the beginning it sounds quite bright with a lot of high overtones but later when you’re spending time down low it’s got plenty of the low end: might take you a little work/ time to bring some of that full-bodied sound up into the higher range to balance it out. If it sounded thin I’d worry about it, but it does not so all is good. Regarding the clean sound and to an extent the bright, I’m sure that experimenting with various reeds you’ll find you can bring out plenty of other characteristics. I’m also on a Daddy-O 6 and loving it as I’m finally working on some actual alto stuff instead of just having a small tenor to mess around on occasionally 🤣 I’m sure my Barone alto is a lot more like your Mauriat than the Yamaha.
Thank you! It definitely has a high level of clarity to it! I'm actually going to give each of my MPCs some time on it today, including the 4CM it came with. I'm intrigued by what type of changes I'll experience. Either way, the Daddy-O is great on it - but has me intrigued as to how the Alto Madness may perform with less baffle!

The Barone is probably very similar! I hope the Daddy-O serves you as well as it has me!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could be 875S-EX-Y too. Seems more legit might take people an extra minute or two. Lol.

Reactions: J-Moen
1 - 20 of 24 Posts