Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was feeling the urge to record a tune today, but I unfortunately left both of my tenors with my tech, so I was stuck with the alto. This is probably my first time playing the alto since last year, and I am a bit rusty. My sound is also not very good, but it was fun to record this tune. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/brandon-tse/summertime-alto-sax

Brandon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Brandon...

In addition to this track, I heard your postings of 'Sentimental Mood' and your Blues Audition. I am impressed with your sound, particularly since you've only been playing a short time. The thing that stands out on all three, unfortunately, is your time... or lack thereof. As a time-challenged person myself, I am learning the importance of this element. An old pro I know (mid-70s), who came up playing be-bop and spent many years as a studio-player, likes to say that "you can make just about anything sound good if your time is right." Sometimes we horn players seem to think we need to do something contrary to the time the rhythm section is laying down, when we would do better to play as if we were the drummer. I am learning to get on top of the beat and intentionally play hemiolas and other things in proper time rather than just putting a random "feel" out there.

It may be advice from a "hack," but I hope that helps... -T

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for the input! After reading the comments on my blues audition about my time, and tapping (more like stomping) my foot while listening, I realized that my timing was really bad in all of my recordings. Since I've begun playing last year, all I could worry about was my sound. Lots of my practice time has been me really struggling to get it better. I'm glad that some of you are appreciating my tone :), That has been my main concern since I've started playing. I guess with all of my focus being directed towards sound, I neglected the time and rhythm, which I now realize is just as important. However, I do find I have better time when playing with my combo group. Any thoughts about that?

Brandon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts