Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I made a similar jump when I was fairly new to saxophone (I went from a Selmer C* to a Lamberson J7 (.110 tip opening)) when I was about a year and a half into learning to play. I did it because I was having problems with the C* closing up even when I went to fairly stiff reeds, this was at least partly due to some deficiencies in my playing but also because some of the sounds I was going for weren't suited to the C*. I also did it for some, in retrospect, silly reasons such as not wanting to be playing on a "beginner" piece (even though I was clearly a very rank beginner) and that my favourite player was playing on a similar piece. The change set me back for some time as I tried to come to grips with the bigger piece, but I am stubborn if nothing else and after a lot of long-tones I made it work. I've since moved to a slightly more open version of the same piece which I actually have found to be easier for me to play. I'm still pretty much a beginner but I am happy with my mouthpiece now.

The short answer is that if you really want to make the new piece work there is no substitute to working on long-tones and just lots of practice time on it. There are no shortcuts and you will most likely set yourself back in terms of progress on the horn for a while, so if you want to make the piece work that's what you will have to do. Oh, one other thing, from what I've read these pieces are generally pretty good but from what you've written you're in no position to evaluate it right now so if there is a problem with the piece (or if it just doesn't suit you) by the time you realize it it will be too late to do anything other than sell it on the open market.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts