Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in college or can remember being in college, particularly music majors, did you guys get as much practicing/playing as you hoped you did?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
I wish I had, but summer was when I made money for the rest of the year.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,687 Posts
I was too busy gigging to have time to practice or do much else.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
Carl H. said:
I was too busy gigging to have time to practice or do much else.
Yeah, tuttipickers ALWAYS got gigs.:D

·
Registered
769 Posts
The first half of the summer I barely got any practice. I just got far too busy working, and life got pretty hectic. Eventually things calmed down, and I got back to my 6hrs a day schedule. Now I'm all moved in at college, and my day is almost entirely spent playing and practicing from dawn until dusk, so yes, I'm getting lots of practice!

and yes, I'm a music major.

·
3,875 Posts
I did. Others used it as a vacation from music. I remember my sophomore year coming back and hearing a trumpet player say "Man I didn't touch my horn all summer." ??? ***? You're a music major?

The summer before my last year (I graduated in 2006), my roommate was dating this clarinet player. I think he borrowed her clarinet for a gig or something. Anyway, the clarinet stayed on a desk in our guest room the whole summer. Again, ***? If you can stop playing for 3 months and not give it a second thought, why in the hell are you majoring in music.

I don't know about the clarinet chick, but the trumpet guy could never pass his upper level exam and was forced out of the school.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
Man, I thought the question was did you practice ENOUGH in the summer, not that you practiced AT ALL!

I would never have made it through school if I'd laid off the entire summer. I just couldn't practice the 3-6 hrs/day that I got in during the school year. I could just manage 1-3 hrs/day during the summer.

·
3,875 Posts
I don't know why I would practice less during the summer. If anything, I could practice more without all those annoying classes getting in the way.

I lived a short 10 minute walk (downhill) from the school of music and it was open all summer. I spent as much time in that building during the summer as I did during the school year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts