Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that summer's finally here, I'm digging out some of my favorite live jazz albums. There's something about summer that makes me crave live jazz; maybe it's the memories of all those wonderful live shows--many outdoors--I enjoyed in summers past.

Here's my current list (bound to change):

1. Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse (w/ Bennie Maupin on tenor and Bass clarinet)
2. Grant Green - Alive (w/Claude Bartee on tenor)
3. Grant Green Live At the Lighthouse (Claude Bartee)
4. Cannonball Adderley Live at the Lighthouse
5. Stan Getz - Soul Eyes (the Glasgow concert). Just listened to this one again for the first time in years. Am starting to appreciate him more now, especially the later stuff. I guess I was always turned off by the Bossa Nova stuff, which sounds so dated to me now.
6. V.S.O.P. Great, soulful funkified 70's jazz, though still straight ahead, from the members of Miles's second quintet--only w/o Miles. I believe they only released this one record (originally a double album) with this group name, which incidentally was also the name of Herbie Hancock's favorite brand of whiskey.

I admit that lately my taste runs toward soul jazz and early 70s funk jazz.

Of course, I'm always looking for new suggestions, so please feel free to list your favs.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Coltrane-Live in Seattle
Coltrane-Live at the Vanguard
Dex-Homecoming: Live at the Village Vanguard
Dolphy-live at the five spot
Coltrane & Monk-Live at Carnegie Hall

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool.

I've always wanted to check out that Homecoming CD. I need something new (to me at least) from Dex now that I've practically worn out his legendary 60's Blue Note CD's.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I heard Dex play at the Wichita Jazz Festival at around the time Homecoming came out on vinyl. I still have the lp.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sonny Rollins live at the Village Vanguard
Wynton Marsalis live at the Village Vanguard
Nick Stephens Live at the Plough Stockwell
Warne Marsh Live at Dana Point 1957
Joe Henderson - The state of the Tenor - Live at the Village Vanguard
Stan Getz - People Time
Bill Evans - the Village Vanguard sessions
Brotherhood of Breath - Live at Willisau
Art Blakey - At Birdland and at Cafe Bohemia
Lester Young - In Washington DC (1st four volumes)
Stan Tracey & Evan Parker - Crevulations
Art Pepper - Blues for the Fisherman
The Blue Notes - Live in South Afrika 1964

.... are live albums that still get lots of time on the record/CD player

·
Registered
300 Posts
In no particular order of preference:

Greyboy All-Stars: Live
David Sanborn: Straight to the Heart
Los Lobotomys: Los Lobotomys
Yellojackets: Live Wires
Brecker Brothers: Return of The Brecker Brothers (live in Barcelona)
The Rippingtons: Live in LA

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ed, Sid - looks like some real must-have's there. I will have to check some of those out....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just letting you know that the majority of what I listen to is usually fusion and (somewhat) smooth jazz. If you're looking for straight ahead, I can tell you my suggestions ain't it. :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Coltrane: Live at the Village Vanguard, Seattle, Japan, VV again
Rollins: VV
Elvin Jones: Live at the Lighthouse
Aaly Trio: Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe
Steve Lacy: Morning Joy
Anthony Braxton Quartet: Willisau/Quartet (2 live discs, 2 studio)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Cannonball - In San Francisco; Nippon Soul
Chris Potter - Lift
Dave Holland Qunitet - Extended Play
Joe Henderson - In Japan
Bird/Diz - Jazz at Massey Hall; Town Hall NYC Concert
Dexter - Homecoming
Vincent Herring/Eric Alexander - The Battle: Live at Smoke
Vincent Herring - Folklore
Brecker/Hancock/Hargrove - Directions in Music
Jaco Pastorius - The Birthday Concert
Jerry Bergonzi - Live Gonz
Wynton Marsalis Septet - A Week at the Village Vanguard

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome sounding picks! Keep 'em coming.

Ed, since you seem to be in the know about contemporary jazz music, maybe you can answer this nagging question I've had for some time: When did Jazz Fusion die and Smooth Jazz take over, at least as a radio station format?

I remember back in the 80s on the few radio stations that actually played contemporary jazz that it was usually labelled as Fusion, and included stuff like Spyro Gyra, Metheny, Sanborn, etc. I don't remember even hearing the term "smooth jazz" until some time in the 90's. So when did the change occur and what caused it?

I'm not sure, but I suspect the change in format might have had something to do with the massive popularity of Kenny G, whose music has always seemed more like Musak to me. But then again, that's what a lot of smooth jazz sounds like to my ears; whereas the Fusion produced by Metheny and others always seemed to have more artistic merit. What's really interesting is that some artists with fairly long careers (or staying power) like Sanborn and Grover were considered Fusion artists at one time but are now definitely labeled as smooth jazz. I guess in the case of Sanborn the transition may be more than just a change in terminology, as I've heard his older stuff was more daring and creative than the Top 40 Dr.'s office type stuff he's churning out now. YMMV....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Miles Davis - The complete concert 1964 - One of the best in my opinion due to the superb understanding and interaction between the players, particularly Hancock, Carter and Williams.
Weather Report - 8.30
Keith Jarrett - Live in Tokyo 1996 and Whisper Not - Paris 1999
John McLaughlin Trio - Live at the Royal Festival Hall
Pat Metheny - Speaking of now - Live DVD

·
Registered
545 Posts
My top 5:

1. Eric Dolphy, Live at the Five Spot
2. Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor (at the Vanguard)
3. John Coltrane, Complete Live at the Village Vanguard
4. Sonny Rollins - Night at the Vanguard
5. Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie - Live at the Town House

Honorable mention:
Art Blakey - Live at Birdland (with Clifford Brown, Lou Donaldson and Horace Silver)
Ornette Coleman - Live at the Golden Circle
Miles Davis - Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel (the great mid-60's quartet never sounded better)

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
saxindia said:
Miles Davis - The complete concert 1964 - One of the best in my opinion due to the superb understanding and interaction between the
Amen, bro! I can't believe I forgot this one. Stella by Starlight still leaves me speechless! My lp of this was worn out WAY before the CD was available.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LMBH,

Yeah, I think I need to pick up that Elvin Jones at the Lighthouse real soon. Then my Lighthouse collection will be complete--or nearly so. :) What about Joe Henderson at the Lighthouse? I hear this one's pretty good, too. The only problem is that even the CD's of some of these are out of print and you have to pay $40-$50 for a mint copy on Amazon's secondary market.

Anybody know of any other great At the Lighthouse live albums/CD's?

BTW Miles' 1964 Concert was one of the first jazz CD's I ever bought back in '91 or something (shortly after he passed). Yeah, I still remember that long note he holds out on Stella, and someone in the back goes "Yaaaaaahhh!" Classic stuff. Aside from my dabbling into Fusion (Metheny, etc.), I admit I was hopelessly a metalhead up through college. Couldn't help it, having been a teen in the 1980s.

But great selections, guys, keep 'em coming. There's been way too many views and not enough posts. I am open to jazz from all periods btw. C'mon Al and Gary (and all the other "hard heads" out there)-- I'm sure there was a great Hoagy live CD released at some time or another. ;)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Swingtone said:
LMBH,

Yeah, I think I need to pick up that Elvin Jones at the Lighthouse real soon. Then my Lighthouse collection will be complete--or nearly so. :) What about Joe Henderson at the Lighthouse? I hear this one's pretty good, too. The only problem is that even the CD's of some of these are out of print and you have to pay $40-$50 for a mint copy on Amazon's secondary market.
I got lucky and picked up Elvin's Live at the Lighthouse used on Vinyl for $16.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
some that come to mind:

Charles Lloyd -Sangnam
Pharoah Sanders-Live at the East
Ornette Coleman-Sound Grammer
Keith Jarrett-Fort Yaweh
Duke at Newport
Gary Bartz-Live at the Jazz Standard Vol 1
Arnett Cobb-Live at Sandys
John Handy -Live at Montery
Mingus at Montery
Albert Ayler Live In Greenwich Village
Weather Report- Live and Unreleased
John Coltrane-Live in Seattle/Live In Japan
Charlie Parker-JATP 1949
Ella Fitzgerald -Live in Berlin (?)
my choice for best live album of alltime?

James Brown Live at the Apollo Volume 2

·
Registered
137 Posts
'Trane's Afro-Blue Impressions (although a "composite" live album - from several different concerts) is probably my favorite. I guess most of my favorite live jazz recordings are Coltrane now that I think about it. I do really like Joe Hen's State of the Tenor and Sonny's Live at the Village Vanguard. Lee Morgans Lighthouse is pretty smokin' too.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
"Some Skunk Funk," with Michael Brecker is one of my favorites. Michael introduces a new playing style. He is playing Bulgarian Speed Jazz.

·
Registered
684 Posts
An Evening with Joe Henderson (with Charlie Haden and Al Foster) on Red Records. A little hard to find but well worth the search IMO. Joe at his best.

Wynton Marsalis at the "House of Tribes" a small performance space in downtown NY on Blue Note. Awesome to hear Wynton and Wes Andesron stretch out on some standards with Joe Farnsworth et al. I really love the sound of this recording too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts