Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a head's up to all you SOTWers in the Montreal area, Ted Klum and myself will be in Montreal on Saturday, 25 June along with representatives from Ligatures Marc Jean, Selmer, Cannonball, Jupiter and Yanagisawa. The idea here is to allow players of all levels to come out in a friendly environment to try out some nice high end gear. With a wide variety of products on hand to trial, players will be able to dial in their setup and find what works the best for them.
Ted and I will be available for those who wish to have their mouthpieces evaluated or to ask questions or .... just hang out and get to know each other!

The location is at the Cabaret Lion d'Or, 1676 Ontario St. East (at the corner of Papineau). The event will take place between 10 am to 4:30 pm.

Visit our homepage, www.tedklummouthpieces.com for the link to the event.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]

See you there!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would go, but it's an 8.5 hour drive and I have to work this weekend :(

·
Banned
593 Posts
a little more notice and id go for sure. it has been a scorcher in tx this summer. i need a vacation that is cooler.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Wow ... only one person in Montreal is interested in trying a bunch of awesome gear and talk mouthpieces? .... I find that hard to believe! Anybody else able to make their way down?
I'll be there.
Marc Jean told me about this a couple of months ago.

Don't let the lack of replies discourage you, none of my sax player friends in Montreal are on SOTW, it should be well attended.

I'm looking forward to trying out the ResoTone.

·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be there.
Marc Jean told me about this a couple of months ago.

Don't let the lack of replies discourage you, none of my sax player friends in Montreal are on SOTW, it should be well attended.

I'm looking forward to trying out the ResoTone.
Alright! Thank you for your response. I'm really stoked to be in Montreal. I haven't been since 2006. I'm looking forward to checking out one of my favorite players, Chet Doxas that night. What size ResoTone would you want to try ....?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Wish I could go but I am working through the weekend. Any chance of bringing the "tour" to Boston?

·
4,673 Posts
.... What size ResoTone would you want to try ....?
An 8 or 8*, I currently play a .115 Ponzol.

On alto I tried the Acoustimax C which I liked a lot, but the D would probably be more in my opening range.

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
Well ... I suppose that makes sense. Where are the rest of you Montreal?
Well maybe if you tried posting in French :bluewink:
I submitted an announcement for you in SOTW’s French forum.

A bit short notice, but I’ll try to drop-by on Saturday.

EDIT: Where will you be in Québec City? Maybe I could submit that in the French forum, too.

·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Kim! I would have but I didn't see the appropriate section to post in ... merci pour le traduction la. En Quebec, nous serons au Fou Bar de 1200h a 1630h 525 Rue St. Jean (I don't know how to make accents on an English keyboard).

Things get so busy here that it never occurred to me to invite anybody ... I'll do better next time (a phrase I often utter in Ted's shop).

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
Ok thanks. I’ve added the Quebec City information (including the accents :bluewink: ) in the French Forum.

·
4,673 Posts
So I went to the Expo on Saturday, very cool. I got to meet Sebastian.

I went mainly to try out the ResoTone (tenor) and the Acoutimax (alto). I had tried an Acoustimax C before and liked it a lot but I wanted to try a D (now called a 7) as it's closer to my preferred tip opening. I was very impressed with both of these mouthpieces.

The ResoTone was full, dark and yet very responsive with the right amount of resistance for me. On my SBA the palm keys, especially the D, can sound nasal, but not with this piece. Ted had even made a .115 especially for me :). The beak had a slightly higher profile than what I'm used to, but I could easily adapt.

The Acoustimax felt very comfortable. It was a bit darker than the Ponzol Vintage I play but still had very good projection. On my BA alto I often come across mouthpieces that give me a "spitty" sound, but for some reason this wasn't the case with the Acoustimax.

I will probably buy these 2 pieces in the near future.

I also tried a Yanagisawa alto and tenor. I had never played them before and was very impressed, so much so that they lingered in my mind for a while.... especially the alto with the silver neck, it would be great for classical playing.
I'm a bit of a vintage snob so that's saying a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts