Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my alto I currently play on a v12 3. I'm thinking about buying a different kind of reed for a better sound.
I'm playing improvisation et caprice for my solo and ensemble and I was looking for a reed and will let the low notes out easily and the high notes to not be piercing. I know, a lot to ask.

More info on my setup: Yamaha custom z, Vandoren optimum lig and AL3 mouthpiece, and v13 - 3s

Also, any tips for shaving reeds to get more usable ones per box?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have almost the same setup, but I play an EX. For me it was simply a ton of work on just low notes that did it. I practiced nothing above a low E for about a week straight, but now I can get them out easily. That was using an 875 EX with an Al 3 and vandoren traditional 3's.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was working on the maslanka concerto 1st movement and there are 2 series on notes that run starting on low C and go down to Bb and back up so it was a ton of embouchure work and pinky work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll go back to the shed for a week. Haha. Oh for the love of long tones.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yeah, it's not the most exciting time practicing 7 notes for a week, but it's definitely worth it. Ever since then it's stuck with me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thanks. Ill try it out.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,362 Posts
Also, any tips for shaving reeds to get more usable ones per box?

Thanks,
Josh
If you would like, I have a diagram of a reed and instructions on where to adjust to maximize playability that I can send you. All I need is your email address. :)

·
19,362 Posts
Sorry. Double post.
Danged slow internet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
how about Rico Jazz Select unfiled #3H.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. I have a solo contest coming up. I don't need any change to my jazz setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how about Rico Jazz Select unfiled #3H.
Hmm, I never thought to try a jazz reed for classical. This might make me sound ignorant but I'm very skeptical on Rico reeds. I've heard very bad reveiws

·
Registered
480 Posts
Most of those reviews are probably going to be about the Orange box Rico's. Most of the rest of their reeds have a decent reputation.

·
19,362 Posts
My email is [email protected]
I would love to have that diagram
Okie dokie! It's on it's way. I have slow dial up so I have to send it in 2 parts.

As for reeds... I don't care much for Vandoren.
For my 'Old Fogie' concert band/classical alto playing I've been having really good luck with Hemke reeds.
I play an old Martin Indiana with a Rousseau 4R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of those reviews are probably going to be about the Orange box Rico's. Most of the rest of their reeds have a decent reputation.

Well, I can always try them out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okie dokie! It's on it's way. I have slow dial up so I have to send it in 2 parts.

As for reeds... I don't care much for Vandoren.
For my 'Old Fogie' concert band/classical alto playing I've been having really good luck with Hemke reeds.
I play an old Martin Indiana with a Rousseau 4R.
I have a few hemke's I can try out compared with my vandoran reeds.

Thanks for the diagrams

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Play nothing above low E for an entire week huh? Thats a really, really weird thing to do.

I have almost the same setup, but I play an EX. For me it was simply a ton of work on just low notes that did it. I practiced nothing above a low E for about a week straight, but now I can get them out easily. That was using an 875 EX with an Al 3 and vandoren traditional 3's.

·
19,362 Posts
Play nothing above low E for an entire week huh? Thats a really, really weird thing to do.
Kinda hard to do if you have to play all the notes during band class or rehearsal for that upcoming competition.
But if it's only during 'long tone/warm up time' it might be 'ok' to do it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Obviously during rehearsals I couldn't stick with that routine. I just became obsessed with h how difficult the low notes were on alto and knew it had to be possible to get it down. The sections from the Maslanka are written at piano, so I had to get comfortable with them to be able to do it. I kind of obsess over a technique until I start feeling comfortable with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts