Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. A friend of mine is putting together a multimedia performing arts concert. There will be dance, visual art and live music. The idea is to tell a story through a collection of musical pieces supported by video projections and dance.

The two pieces already selected are both by Mozart. One is for violin & piano, the other for guitar & flute.

We're also looking for a piece of saxophone music. I don't even know where to start looking for saxophone pieces, because they have to be public domain & obviously that compounds the problem that there's a limited body of classical works in the first place..

So I'm wondering if any of you know any great "classical" music for saxophone that is public domain.

Best,
Notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Does it HAVE to be for saxophone? If not, Glazunov's "Chant du Ménestrel" for cello works GREAT for tenor. Neils Bijl recorded it on his CD Chant du Saxophone Tenor. http://www.nielsbijl.nl/audio.php?hl=en

If you can, in fact, use this piece, it's public domain and can be accessed through imslp.org.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Having played a lot of baroque music, I would suggest Telemann. He has written music for all kinds of woodwind instruments - and they can usually be played on a saxophone with no trouble at all. If you are able to transpose voices, there are lots of material! Since there are almost no music available for baritone sax, I transposed a couple of bassoon concertos by Vivaldi, they are an excellent fit to the range of the bari (they are also quite difficult, but that is another matter).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I think "Chant du Ménestrel" was a great suggestion. Let me know if you think of anything else!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Choral varié by Vincent d'Indy is a great piece for saxo. also available at IMSLP.org

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm sure we can find something for saxophone in public domain...let's not just rush to assign transcriptions when there are plenty of appropriate pieces. The D'indy is one, but the Schmitt works are others. A simple look on IMSLP shows this: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Scores_featuring_the_saxophone

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, make sure to avoid any "inappropriate" pieces outside of the saxophone repertoire. Pick any piece from Jordan's imslp link, such as:

Canon and Gigue in D major (pachelbel, Johann)
Water Music, HWV 348-350 (Handel, George Frideric)

Any one of those 59 pieces are allowed. Make sure to avoid the inappropriate music of Mozart, Telemann, Vivaldi, Bach, etc.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, make sure to avoid any "inappropriate" pieces outside of the saxophone repertoire. Pick any piece from Jordan's imslp link, such as:

Any one of those 59 pieces are allowed. Make sure to avoid the inappropriate music of Mozart, Telemann, Vivaldi, Bach, etc.
Amusing :)

·
Registered
641 Posts

I was assuming anyone looking at that list, in conjunction with with my post, would have realized I was not considering the transcriptions that are on there. For your sake, I'll make sure to clarify this next time.

By skewing my words, you missed the point of the word appropriate and its context for the situation. He was looking for saxophone pieces. Let's start by suggesting some of those first. There's nothing inappropriate about transcriptions depending on the setting and context.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just to stir the pot, I know very, very, very few saxophonists who can do Mozart, Telemann, Vivaldi and Bach justice, thus proving Jordan's point.

:)

·
Registered
351 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just to stir the pot, I know very, very, very few saxophonists who can do Mozart, Telemann, Vivaldi and Bach justice, thus proving Jordan's point.

:)
I totally agree, Sean.

I would also say that I know very(x3) few flutists, violinists, oboists, keyboardists, etc. who an do Mozart, Telemann, Vivaldi, or Bach justice...and on the correct instruments! To me, learning and studying the "greats" develops musicianship far beyond the instrument itself, unlike the majority of works for saxophone which nowadays are all about fingers-fingers-hit-the-instrument-fingers-slap-tongue-multiphonic to wow the audience.

This isn't to say that one can't develop good musicianship solely through the repertoire of that particular instrument. I am totally alongside Jordan advocating saxophone music as much as possible; however I would rather promote the highest quality pieces than simply ALL of them. I don't think Jordan would disagree that one would learn and develop much more musically through transcriptions of Bach chorales than "!shorter!longer!shorter!", by Armin Fuchs.

I feel a deep, philosophical discussion about the musicality of all kinds of music coming on....

·
Registered
641 Posts
You have a good point, and I do teach and play pieces like the Eccles, Fasch, or others to explore other styles of music not available to saxophonists. I was merely trying to push us toward finding a saxophone piece in public domain, that could work for the concert described. I always feel that if possible, we should strive to find a work written for the saxophone, before automatically resorting to a non-saxophone work.

And I agree, we should truly only advocate for the highest quality ones. I think it is taking time, but slowly as the pedagogy for our instrument begins to solidify (imagine what it was 50 years ago), our "standard" works will continue to become more apparent and expand beyond just the glazunov, ibert, creston, milhaud, etc., etc. (I'm thinking of works like the Decruck, etc.).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does it HAVE to be for saxophone? If not, Glazunov's "Chant du Ménestrel" for cello works GREAT for tenor. Neils Bijl recorded it on his CD Chant du Saxophone Tenor. http://www.nielsbijl.nl/audio.php?hl=en

If you can, in fact, use this piece, it's public domain and can be accessed through imslp.org.
Holy cow where did that guy come from??? What a great classical tenor sound! Somebody needs to put this is on a link for people looking for great classical tenor models if they haven't done it already. Thanks for posting this!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Holy cow where did that guy come from??? What a great classical tenor sound! Somebody needs to put this is on a link for people looking for great classical tenor models if they haven't done it already. Thanks for posting this!
He's the alto player in the Aurelia Saxophone Quartet from the Netherlands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts