Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a suggestion for a synthetic bari Sax reed. Been using Rico 2.5. Happy with them but it would be nice to have a reed I don’t have to worry about to much as I play outdoors most of the time. Tried a Legere 2.0 but found it hard to play. And it looks to be splitting after only a couple of hours of use. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I’m a Fiberreed convert for almost 2 decades. Baritone was the first to go, playing outdoors and switching horns were the main motivation. Fiberreeds Carbon give you an extra sizzle welcome on the sometimes too dark bari sound. But beware, you might not find your sound and balance overnight.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have used Fibracell reeds on Baritone for some time now and have all so recently started using Forestone Black Bamboo reeds.
Never liked Legere apart from Legere Classics but finding the correct strength was like pulling teeth, so I’ve given up on them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used Fibracell reeds on Baritone for some time now and have all so recently started using Forestone Black Bamboo reeds.
Never liked Legere apart from Legere Classics but finding the correct strength was like pulling teeth, so I’ve given up on them.
Was thinking of trying the Fibracell reeds. Price looks good. Do they last long? Do you think Rico’s 2.5 is about equal to the fibracell 2.5?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I use Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon and Hemp on Baritone, Tenor, Alto and Soprano : on Baritone I use only Fiberreed.

Ciao

·
7,904 Posts
Was thinking of trying the Fibracell reeds. Price looks good. Do they last long? Do you think Rico’s 2.5 is about equal to the fibracell 2.5?
I think they run a little soft, so a Fibracell 3 would be close to a Rico 2.5.
I get a lot of life out of them, my oldest one is well over a year old and still working well.
Although I sometimes feel like it has softened slightly.

·
4,160 Posts
I use legere signatures on bari and play it pretty hard. Haven't had issues with them. I don't like the normal legere reeds though, really stuffy to me

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,399 Posts
I also use Hartmann Fibereed Hemp on baritone - with about a .110 mouthpiece I'm using a Medium. For you I'd suggest MS. These reeds last and actually tend to get better to a point. I have also used a lot of #3 Fibracells with this set-up (Brilhart Level Air 9*). Here's how to take care of this reed - take it off after every playing session, wipe it off and put it into a Reed Guard or a Fibracell plastic 'jewel case' with the silicone rubber bump in the top to keep the reed still and flat. Every couple of weeks rinse it off and dry it.

·
7,904 Posts
I also use Hartmann Fibereed Hemp on baritone - with about a .110 mouthpiece I'm using a Medium. For you I'd suggest MS. These reeds last and actually tend to get better to a point. I have also used a lot of #3 Fibracells with this set-up (Brilhart Level Air 9*). Here's how to take care of this reed - take it off after every playing session, wipe it off and put it into a Reed Guard or a Fibracell plastic 'jewel case' with the silicone rubber bump in the top to keep the reed still and flat. Every couple of weeks rinse it off and dry it.
I’ve never tried a Hartmann Fibereed.
How would you describe how they play in comparison to the Fibracell?
I’m keen to try them but not if they are any brighter than a Fibracell or overly buzzy.
Hope that all made sense, I wasn’t sure how to phrase it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I really enjoy Fibracell reeds on my horns. They tend to last for months and give you no fuss. I Usually use the 2.5s on bari and bass, tip openings ranging from .110 - .120

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,399 Posts
I’m keen to try them but not if they are any brighter than a Fibracell or overly buzzy.
I do understand that completely. Compared to a Fibracell, the 'Hemp' (the only Fibereed I've tried) would be considered very 'buzzy'. I have been trying so many reeds that I have lost track of my exact reactions to them all, but I did end up playing the Hemp 'Med' on the Level Air because while it offers deep, booming bell tones, it also hangs with me when I need to go up high. It does add 'sizzle' to the mid and high registers but is never thin or abrasive. Plus, it will outlast three Fibracells, at least for me, so the economics work. Bottom line, putting the last Fibracell that I used back on for comparison, I hated it because of the Fibracell characteristic 'deadness'. But everybody is looking for something different.
Its coming back to me now - that first impression was with a different mouthpiece. The Hemp was instantly too hard and 'bright' the way hard reeds are. I put it away in the 'Land of the Lost Reeds'. It never occurred to me to try it after I changed to the Level Air because I was happy with the Fibracells except how they would get a 'hole' on the flat side edge near the beginning of the facing curve. Anyway, I picked up a Brancher mouthpiece and basically played every kind of baritone reed I had on it, including the Hemp, which did well on it. So, I tried it on the Level Air which turned out to be a great match.

·
2,998 Posts
I found them brighter yet more refined than a Fibracell, but less buzzy. Strange resistance, almost TOO free blowing. Good sound though.
Try the regular Carbon, not the classic cut.

·
7,904 Posts
I do understand that completely. Compared to a Fibracell, the 'Hemp' (the only Fibereed I've tried) would be considered very 'buzzy'. I have been trying so many reeds that I have lost track of my exact reactions to them all, but I did end up playing the Hemp 'Med' on the Level Air because while it offers deep, booming bell tones, it also hangs with me when I need to go up high. It does add 'sizzle' to the mid and high registers but is never thin or abrasive. Plus, it will outlast three Fibracells, at least for me, so the economics work. Bottom line, putting the last Fibracell that I used back on for comparison, I hated it because of the Fibracell characteristic 'deadness'. But everybody is looking for something different.
Its coming back to me now - that first impression was with a different mouthpiece. The Hemp was instantly too hard and 'bright' the way hard reeds are. I put it away in the 'Land of the Lost Reeds'. It never occurred to me to try it after I changed to the Level Air because I was happy with the Fibracells except how they would get a 'hole' on the flat side edge near the beginning of the facing curve. Anyway, I picked up a Brancher mouthpiece and basically played every kind of baritone reed I had on it, including the Hemp, which did well on it. So, I tried it on the Level Air which turned out to be a great match.
Thanks.
I appreciate you going through your experience with the two reeds, it has helped me decide whether or not the Hemp reeds would be to my liking.
At this stage I think I’ll stick with the Fibracell and Black Bamboo which seem to now be working quite well after a rocky start.

·
7,904 Posts
I found them brighter yet more refined than a Fibracell, but less buzzy. Strange resistance, almost TOO free blowing. Good sound though.
Try the regular Carbon, not the classic cut.
Thanks Benny.
We must have been writing at the same time as I didn’t see your post before.
I don’t know that I would like the added brightness of the Hartmann reeds.
Often when I get a brighter reed I will love it at first, but after a while I usually fall out of love with it.
The opposite is usually true when I come across a darker reed, where I usually find it dull and lifeless but then strangely I start to like them more after a short while.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I played in an all sax ensemble where the baritone player used Hartmann Hemp as something slightly warmer than the Hartmann Carbon. I'd been using Hartmann Carbon for years so I bought a couple of Hemp to try out. I had the opposite result, with the Hemp seeming to have more buzz. Of course, I was comparing a new Hemp to my +5 year-old Carbons. Both seem to work for me and I now have a 75 year supply.

Mark

·
2,998 Posts
As far as synthetics go, I’m coming to the view of ‘better the devil you know’..... they just cost too much to endlessly mess around with

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as synthetics go, I’m coming to the view of ‘better the devil you know’..... they just cost too much to endlessly mess around with
I’m feeling a bit of this. I like the sound of the natural reeds. And I know what I like. I’ve also been using a Rico Metalite mothpiece. It already sounds pretty raw. When I used the Legere reed it sounded like a buzzsaw.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been usign a Fibracel 2.5 with a large chamber Caravan mouthpiece. It is easy to play and you just slap it in a play - no need to wet before use. It is however a little buzzy so I have recently gome back to cane which gives me better tone/sound but keep it handy as a backup.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use Fibracell. Mouthpiece was a Runyon Quantum since moved to a Jody Jazz DV.
I find the harder the better. I use a 4 and sometimes clip them if they are buzzy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've used Bari, Fibracell, Legere Classic, and Legere Signature. I liked the Bari on my Charles Bay mouthpiece, The Fibracell on my Meyer 6M, and Legere Signature on the JodyJazz DVNY 7. I didn't like the Legere Classic on any of them. Legere's tend to run stiff as do Bari and Fibracells tend to run soft. I'm currently playing the Legere Signature 2.5 on the JodyJazz and I like it a lot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts