Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a whats the best mouthpiece topic. I love my HR Alto pieces. Just curious on suggestions as far as metal Alto mpc's go. It's going to be for more big band music and funk. Personally I've found lots of love in my Otto Link Tone Edge HR 5* and Meyer 6M HR among the others I own. Just kind of courious in the metal mpc category for Alto. Like I said before I'm not looking for the "best piece" just more of what others like so I know what area to look at.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
For straight jazz and mellow blues work I have an Otto Link Super TM that is very good but not great yet. I bought it recently from another member who said it was refaced by Phil-Tone but I am sending it off anyway to Greg Wier who knows my preferences and will reface it to meet my needs.

For funk and big band OL will do the job. For more edge I use a Vandoren HR Jumbo Java A75 that is edgy and easy to altissimo on.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, I'm not that much of an alto guy. But after trying several different metal pieces, I've settled on a vintage Florida-made Otto Link STM. It's got a better core tone and is a little brighter than the current production STM. While Florida STM's for tenor have gotten expensive, the alto version can often be found on eBay at a reasonable price.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
First, I'm not that much of an alto guy. But after trying several different metal pieces, I've settled on a vintage Florida-made Otto Link STM. It's got a better core tone and is a little brighter than the current production STM. While Florida STM's for tenor have gotten expensive, the alto version can often be found on eBay at a reasonable price.
The current production of OL's have terrible facing work when stock, so they have to be checked. I sent GW a soprano marked 8* and he told me it measured a 6 and that the rails were so uneven it was a wonder I could play it at all. Now it will rival a Florida or Floridated.

B

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
This isn't a whats the best mouthpiece topic. I love my HR Alto pieces. Just curious on suggestions as far as metal Alto mpc's go. It's going to be for more big band music and funk. Personally I've found lots of love in my Otto Link Tone Edge HR 5* and Meyer 6M HR among the others I own. Just kind of courious in the metal mpc category for Alto. Like I said before I'm not looking for the "best piece" just more of what others like so I know what area to look at.
The material makes no difference. I find the Beechler very bright and it's plastic.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The CE Winds Silver Shockas are quite good. Rollover type baffle, not high. Lots of power without razor blade edginess. I was surprised. They're priced pretty reasonably for a metal.

I'm playing on a Sakshama Guardala studio right now that's also quite good. I need that extra "edge" for the type of gigs I do.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Beechler Bellite is great for alto. It is very versatile and can pack a pretty serious punch when matched with the right ligature. It is surprisingly good for ballads too. If you want to dig deeper into your pockets Guardala pieces are also wonderful but usually better if they're from PMS.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think I'll get a Stock OL STM and have Brian Powell do some work to it. Recommended tip opening? roughly of course.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,526 Posts
I have heard real good things about Beechler and I did see Eric Marienthal play one on his Mark 6 and the tone he gets is incredible.

Sean the tip opening on my STM alto is .070 with a 2.5 reed sometimes 3.

Feels really comfortable and flexible.

B

·
Registered
258 Posts
Big band and funk? Don't forget about Berg Larsens. Possibly a 0 or 1 baffle. They're great for that combination – just make sure to find one that's cleanly finished.

I'd also highly recommend checking out metal Yanagisawas, too.

An approximation of what they're like: Picture a Japanese version of a Beechler Bellite.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I like the Bellites as they are very versatile. Not just a funk and scream mouthpiece. As far as opening size that is very personal. While modman may play a .70 - I am comfortable with a .85 so this is really what you like. All comes with the GAS ;-)

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
... I have an Otto Link Super TM that is very good but not great yet. I bought it recently from another member who said it was refaced by Phil-Tone ...
Modman, are you talking about the one I sold you? When you say "who said it was refaced by Phil-tone" it makes it sound like this might be a false claim. I bought that mouthpiece directly from Phil and it's got his markings on it, so there can be no question that he did it. I realize that doesn't guarantee that you'll love it but that's a separate issue.

I wanted to take the opportunity to clarify on the off-chance that someone gets the wrong impression of my integrity as a seller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts