Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Mark VI soprano that just came with a bag. Looking for inexpensive case suggestions other than Protec - which don’t seem to be very durable in my experience. I’m not traveling with it, just want something to prevent damage from the toddler at home or a minor accident. Bag isn’t bad because the padding is thick but not ideal. Definitely don’t need anything over the top.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I kept one of my MKVI sops in a ProTec (for the extra storage it afforded me compared to the standard Selmer case). It not only protected my soprano at home but while traveling to and from gigs and at the scene. My ProTecs have survived for years. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Protec all the way. My protec tenor case lasted maybe 10 years before the seams pulled apart but the was HEAVY gigging. Bought another Protec and just keep going.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
I guess it depends on exactly what model Pro Tec cases we're talking about. If you get the one with the wood body and Cordura nylon cover, they do not come apart. Personally I don't think there's any substitute for them at any price. You can easily find any case of theirs much cheaper on ebay or Amazon.

https://www.protecstyle.com/product/straight-soprano-saxophone-pro-pac-case/

·
14,268 Posts
I have several ProTecs for straight sopranos and altos. One is a really nice black-leather alto contoured ProTec in which I've kept expensive horns. None have failed me. I am not discounting your experiences with that brand, but it could have been a use or fit-problem, I suppose.

A friend of mine who goes all over playing his MKVI soprano uses a ProTec for his horn.

You wrote CASES (plural) so I assume it happened to you more than once. Is there a warrantee associated with ProTecs? If so, maybe you should take up those failures with the manufacturer. I never paid attention to warrantees and the paperwork is long gone (huge files stuffed with old paperwork does not bring me pleasure . . .), that's why I ask. DAVE

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I had one in 2009 with a brand new Mauriat 66R I bought from Sax Alley. The zipper seam split within a few weeks. Contacted Sax Alley and they told me to call Protec. Just decided not to buy from the alley anymore. I had another one a year or so ago and the interior split. I have an Eastman/Winter contoured case now that I got on Reverb for $125 and its been good. Anyway, I will probably do Protec if nothing seemingly better pops up.

·
14,268 Posts
The Woodwind and Brasswind site usually has a good selection of saxophone cases. Maybe you can shop there and see what's available. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Get a Selmer Vanguard case like the horn came in. On ebay you can often find almost new ones for a little over $100.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
Best case scenario :) Protec ( not the cheaper models) Propac case. It carries one piece or two pieces horns (there is a piece of padding just by the neck that is removable to allow this)

Never had any protec case cracking but it it would this would happen after years and years.

In other cases :) you may, or may not, be able to fit your horn. Lately I was selling a soprano and after ordering several cases I had to take a SA 80 soprano case (and leve this horn without a case) to send the YASS 61 , neither horn would fit any other case I had or could buy.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
What happened to the original case?
I still have my original with the nice cover but I use the Protec because of the strap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts